Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Novocaine For The Soul


It's Friday, April 20, 1991. It's freezing when I wake up at 6:45AM! It's only September here in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan! Last year I was sweating my butt off until November!

Strangely enough, it's not raining today. I thought we were supposed to be getting wiped out by a typhoon - or was that all it had yesterday?

Whoops - at 9AM just before classes actually start at Ohtawara Chu Gakko (Ohtawara Junior High School), it begins to rain. I knew the weather wouldn't let me down!

For some reason, I don't have any classes scheduled for today. Shibata-sensei doesn't tell me why, so I sit here alone in the teacher's office being bored.

Did you know that crossword difficulty is inversely proportional to the amount of free time you have? The more free time you have, the easier the puzzle, thereby ensuring you will be bored quicker.

I have done two puzzles in ink without any errors - and not much hesitation on my part... so I start reading a Sherlock Holmes book I borrowed from Matthew. Matthew is a major fan of the opium-riddled detective, and I have to admit, after watching a lot of the episodes on television these past few months, it has made me want to see what the heck the writing was like. Apparently, the creators of the television show were exceedingly faithful to the writings of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I wish I had a cool name like Conan.

After lunch in the teacher's room, I sit and stare at nothing. Screw this. I want to go home so I can do nothing there.

So at 4PM, I go home and relax... I'm not sure if that's possible considering how little I actually did today, but I do my best.

I watch some sumo (Japanese wrestling) and have found myself really getting into the whole sport.

Ashley comes over at 6PM. She was sick today and didn't go to work at the Ohtawara Boys High School, but she isn't too sick to stay away. I guess this is where I have to be a friend for a few hours later tonight.

So I do. After watching a few videos from back home, we fool around where I show her a neat trick involving my gold chain which she really loves.

This is the way my day ends - with a bang and a whimper.

Somewhere no longer freezing,
Andrew Joseph
Today's music is by: Eels: NUMB

No comments:

Post a Comment