Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Miss Universe And The Japanese Concept of Beauty

I thought I'd share an article I found on AFP:

It's about how the Miss Universe pageant offers Japan new concepts of beauty... how they no longer need to try and look "westernized" to be considered beautiful.

That story is here:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hM9cNNnVHt7rD2l6HwwkxmJXNJbg
(You may have to copy and paste it)

It's an interesting piece, and it may indeed have merit. Want to see a westernized Japanese Miss Universe contestant? Look at the photo below of Kojima Akiko (surname first) who was the 1959 Miss Universe, and the first Japanese person to be named a Miss Universe.
Kojima Akiki Miss Universe 1959

Now take a look at Mori Riyo at  the very top of this article (It's for my buddy Matthew). She was the Miss Universe winner for 2007.

These two are the only two Japanese women to have been crowned Miss Universe since the contest began in 1952.

Of course, it IS possible that in 1959 most Japanese women looked like Kojima-san... while in 2007 and up, Japanese women look like Mori-san... but even 20 years removed from Japan, Mori-san looks more like the typical Japanese girl than Kojima-san.

While I'm not going to state that the 1959 winner isn't Japanese-looking... she's all Japanese, boys... but dammit... she also looks like your typical Hollywood bombshell.

Mori Riyo... she is the sexiest Japanese woman I have ever seen.
Regardless... both are gorgeous. But read the story and feel free to tell me I'm full of crap or if perhaps the story might be correct. Or just enjoy the fact that I've included two photos of sexy Japanese women.

For more fun, before to read my blog on Miss Universe with photos of the Miss Japan women from 1990-2011: HERE

Or my story on the Clark Kent-like Miss Universe 2010: HERE

Or my piece on Miss Universe 2009's costume conundrum HERE

Or the article on the sex tape and Miss Japan 2008 HERE.

Cheers
Andrew Joseph

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I saw those pix... and you'll noticed I still found one we hadn't seen before of Riyo in the bikini!

    ReplyDelete