Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Battle For Leyte Gulf - Part 2 Comic Book

Here's is Part 2 of Combat #24, a Dell Publishing Co. comic book that appeared as the April 1967 issue.

Comics in those days past were listed by month about three months ahead of when they actually appeared on the newstand. That means this book actually appeared in January of 1967. The idea behind this practice was so that the comic book could appear longer on the shelves, while still giving it the appearance of having just appeared.

This particular comic book was published quarterly. Again, the implication being that war comics  - not quite 18 years removed from WWII, but within the confines of the Vietnam Conflict, were not as popular as they once were amongst the reading public.

By the way, I like how the Vietnam War was renamed the Vietnam Conflict by the Americans - a rewriting of history to show that the U.S. never lost a war. Vietnam was a piece of crap war that was every bit as violent as WWII. The main difference was the in WWII, you knew who the enemy was.

This tale presented here is about the Battle For Letye Gulf in the Philippines, when General Douglas Macarthur uttered his famous words: "I have returned."

This book was one I had purchased on Saturday for $1 - a great deal considering the book is in fantastic shape. It's not an overly valuable book as Dell war comics are not as sought after as DC and Marvel's. Marvel had the very popular Sgt. Nick Fury and His Howling Comandos. Yes... the same Nick Fury who is part of the Captain America movie of 2011 and The Avengers movie of 2012 that is about to hit the movie screens.

DC had, amongst it's many war books: The Haunted Tank, Sgt. Rock and The Losers - all of which I enjoyed and still enjoy.

These Dell books tended to have a bit more realism to them and I didn't like them as much - perhaps because it hit too close to home that war was real and hell.

I only offer this book to you all because it is an important part of U.S. and Japanese history. Besides... it doesn't hurt to learn something of the past - just so you know your grandpa wasn't just bull-sh!tting you.

Part 3 follows tomorrow. As always, if you click on the image, it will increase in size enabling you to read it. Enjoy:      









That's the end of Part 2. Tomorrow, The Battle Ends.

Cheers,
Andrew Joseph


2 comments:

  1. I'll give you an article somebody else wrote on someone near and dear to my heart who experienced this battle from a different perspective: http://ow.ly/UqDIJ

    I chose to comment here, because you wrote this above: "Besides... it doesn't hurt to learn something of the past - just so you know your grandpa wasn't just bull-sh!tting you." And the part that made cringe was "grandpa" as I'm one generation closer than that -- there can't be many of us with a living parent who survived WWII. I feel ancient.

    I started out thinking I was going to comment in your August 8 2015 Blog "Does Asia Still Hate Japan Post WWII?" -- but I feel so NOT Asian (or Pacific Islander -- there seems to be confusion with the US Census these days, they don't know where to put us). Yet I will say honestly that I grew up with a bias against Japanese -- and not from anything that was said directly to me as a child. Perhaps it was an attitude (at worst) or a distrust (at best). Consider the age of my parents when Pearl Harbor was attacked -- my mom was 14 and my dad 18. My dad joined guerrilla forces; my mom went into hiding with her family into the mountains for 4 years. I'm sure they experienced some $h!t.

    Then there's my children's generation. Such a different experience! Yes, my sons understand and are awed that they have a grandfather who is a WWII vet. But they have no bias against anything Japanese. In fact, they seem to be fascinated with most things Japanese. They love manga and anime (this is where having 2 parents is a good thing, since it's my husband's job to listen as I have no patience for babble). I used to joke that the kids should be speaking Japanese by now, because they watched their shows in Japanese first as they couldn't wait for the english version to see what happened between seasons. So I'm glad I have not passed this on.

    P.S. This comic book brought back memories of my childhood. My two siblings closest in age were boys, so the tactic my parents used to keep us occupied was to drop my brothers and me off at the comic book shop when they went shopping. We were allowed to get one comic each, and as I was not so much into comics, my brothers would try to get me to use my "share" to get a comic one of them wanted. That is until I found Conan #1. I think it was the first comic series I ever bought. (You don't need to buy much when you're the youngest of 5 -- everything eventually gets passed to you if it survives other siblings.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recall that I am three years your junior as of Sunday. Your dad was a lot older when he had you, than my dad was when he had me. My dad was a baby/toddler when WWII was on.
      Where the heck are you guys from? Mom went into hiding in the mtns? Hmmm. That could be anywhere. Spanish name... Philippines? It makes sense re: the comic above. Ah... I just clicked on the link you provided. Your dad, I presume. Wonderful article. I really should examine things first before commenting on them.
      I used to love writing articles on people, which I got to do with the Brampton Times (a 100-yr-old daily newspaper that died 25 years ago a month after I was fired as an intern there. Woman issue, which you might come across in these blogs).
      Conan is one of my favorite comic books. Period. Uncle Scrooge, Batman, Green Lantern and Conan. Conan maybe ahead of Green Lantern.
      I still have a decent collection of Conan, beginning with #1 and that skinny Conan drawn by Barry Smith (now Barry Windsor Smith). I have a conan comic magazine with Arnold on the cover signed by the Governor.
      I even have a list in my wallet noting the issues I need (Conan, King Conan, Savage Sword of Conan). I am in the process of doing the same for Unca Scrooge, but I've had that Conan list in there for maybe 10 years, slowly chipping away at it. My first comic was Spiderman 81, I think - it continued with Doc. Octopus throwing a unmasked Spidey off a building. I never did find out if he survived. :)
      My Mom's cousin fought the Germans in North Africa. That's as close as I get.
      But I do have a fascination for that war after discovering a book with photos of the Nazi atrocities... the ovens and such. Plus I had a sticker book when I was 7 of WWII http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515FBm6yO8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
      I'm the oldest of two boys. The classic underachiever who achieved plenty, but not enough. In my opinion. My brother won an Emmy for writing a cartoon series, Roly Poly Oly... it won best kid's program, and all the writers got Emmys. I'm proud of him, but wish I could have had a break doing stuff like that rather than the writing I do for money nowadays - unlike the blog, which I do for a living.

      Delete