Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Japan's First Sci-Fi Story

Great friend that Matthew is even after knowing me for 22 years, he still cares enough to send story leads. Matthew lived nearby in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan when we were both on the JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching) Programme. When I began writing works of fiction and works of non-fiction via my original It's A Wonderful Rife stories for our prefecture JET newsletter, The Tatami Times, Matthew was not only a frequent contributor, but was always there with a friendly comment and word of encouragement to myself. Despite what may sometimes appear as a very large ego (what I call self-confidence), I actually lacked it.

Still do.

I was a reporter with the Toronto Star and knew how to write in the newspaper journalism style - but entertaining stories? That was all new to me. I had no idea if I was funny or good enough to continue writing for my fellow assistant English teachers. Matthew, more than anyone else by far in Japan, gave me the confidence to continue doing so. So I blame him for me doing this whole blog thing these past three years. You may blame him, too. 

So... whenever Matthew sends me a link to a possible story idea or news, I tend to listen. And act. Matthew sent me a link to a story this morning. It captured my attention, much as it did Matthew's.

I want to present an article written by John Spacey on June 21, 2012 and presented on the www.japan-talk.com blog.

This is a cool bit of information on how Japan's famous Mount Fuji (never saw it and still don't believe it really exists) and how a tale around it might actually be the world's first science-fiction story.

Now, I don't believe it actually is the world's first science fiction story. I think any story that talks about a pantheon of gods may actually have beaten it by centuries and centuries, however, I do think this story may be one of Japan's earliest science fiction stories - certainly the earliest written version of a science fiction story.

For Matthew's sake (if not for my own ego), check out John Spacey's article here: FUJISCI-FI.

And, just like Matthew, I read every comment that comes in, and I take all story leads seriously. I also welcome others to submit stories they have written here. today I have enough self-confidence to do that. 

Cheers
Andrew Joseph
 

No comments:

Post a Comment