Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Robo Ji Made Me Laugh

Mike Rogers of Marketing Japan fame has put out a blog containing a trailer for a hilarious independent Japanese film called Robo Ji (as Mike calls it because that's what the katakana in the poster actually spells) or is it called Robo G (like it is written in English in the poster above)? Friggin' Japanese katakana alphabet! Friggin' English!

Oh... I get it... it's really a play on words... Robo is katakana for robo (roboto) and G sounds like Ji - which is 'grandfather' - which you will understand when you watch the trailer.

I won't say more, but urge you to click on the link below to visit Mike's blog and watch the damn thing - It's a minute plus trailer, and while it is indeed in Japanese, it's comedy... it transcends language! I laughed out loud a few times, and anyone who knows me, knows that while I will laugh at jokes, I rarely laugh out loud from watching television, video or film.

Check out ROBO JI.

Fans of The Simpsons will notice a similarity between the flick and an episode - but what the hell! Sir Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and Douglas Addams (Hitchhiker's Guide and Dirk Gently)- also born in England like myself - write in a style just like mine, and you don't hear me whining about copying my style to greater fame and fortune.

Why doesn't anyone hear me whine? What's wrong with me? Oh well, at least I still have my health hair.     

By the way... Mike Rogers is a salary man, a radio DJ, husband, ex-husband, father, former drug addict, former (?) punk rocker and, if it makes any difference, a reformed American living in Japan. He's also a hell of a writer (when does he find the time?! asks the writer who gets four hours of sleep a night), and despite having never bowed to him, shaken his hand, or had a drink with him, he is my friend. Read his blog.  

Oh yeah... Mike? Domo arigato Mister Rogers.

Cheers 
Andrew Joseph 

2 comments:

  1. can u give me the english subtitle for this movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is actually called Robo-G in English... Robo-ji in Japanese. Hope that's what you meant.

      Delete