Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Reality Of Living In Japan - 2

Do you know when I first had one of those moments that I was living in Japan?

My brother had just sent me this album - Nevermind - by some group called Nirvana. Freaking awesome stuff. I think it was late October of 1991, and this, Nirvana's second album, had come out on September 24 of that year.

I had my stereo cranked up to 11 and was whipping my long, pony-tailed hair around to the heavy beat and jumping up and down on my... futon...

Futon?

I stopped in mid-air and refused to come down. I wasn't in Kansas anymore. Or Toronto, for that matter. I was in a small city that had a lot of rice fields and 7-11s - Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan.

After about 20 seconds, my brain was able to start working again and remembered the Law of Gravity (I always for the Law of Depravity, but that's okay, I never studied law) and floated gently down and then started bopping again to the high energy rush of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Nirvana.... how apropos. Nirvana, is of course in layman's terms, a peace of mind. I had it there for a moment. Oh well... never mind...

Cheers
Andrew Joseph

2 comments:

  1. http://www.dkngstudios.com/images/spinal_tap_big.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant... I slipped in one mention, and you got it, man!

      Delete