Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Saturday, September 15, 2012

It's A Dog's Life

I got my first dog, an English Blue Roan Cocker Spaniel (Tin-Tin) for my third birthday... got another American Cocker Spaniel (Tippy) when I was 4 and then living in Canada... four Rottweilers (Apollo, Damien, Misty and Blackjack), and now a Chocolate Labrador (Buster). 

When I was living in Japan between 1990-1993 and away from the home for the first time, I was homesick a bit and missed having a dog. I really wanted one, because for the first time in my life, I had no family with me in Japan... and no dog.

Because I was afraid of getting a dog and then not being able to bring him/her back to Cnaada, I refrained from getting one - sucking it up and instead adopting a cat for a few days, but really making do with tropical fish and Goldfish.

But it sure didn't make up for not having a dog acting happy when I arrived home after a long, cold day at work.

Here are a few facts about pet dogs in Japan: 
  • Dogs: ~22,000,000

  • Japanese children under 15: 16,600,000
Consider if you will that Japan is complaining about a lower birth rate, and that in 2002 - just 10 years ago - the average dog population was 11,000,000.

I found a cool BBC documentary that you can listen too called "It's A Dog's Life" about dogs in Japan.. Or maybe it's really about dog owners in Japan... and how they prefer having a dog to getting married or having a boyfriend/girlfriend, or even having sex.

As such, the documentary talks about how Japanese people pamper their dogs.

You can listen to this documentary now: RUFF that was made on June 12, 2012.

That photo above? That's Hachiko... a statue of a faithful dog, situated in Tokyo, outside a train station... a landmark where people look to meet. You can read my blog on this great dog HERE.

Cheers,
Andrew Joseph 

No comments:

Post a Comment