Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Kids Construct Famous Painting With LEGO

Again... I have no idea why I didn't see this news article a month ago when it first appeared. My sources are apparently out camping or something equally as horrible...

Anyhow, down below is a link to a Huffington Post article about a bunch of kids at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum getting together to create a LEGO version of a famous painting that I had never heard of before... something called the "Girl With A Pearl Earring", by a 17th century artist named Johannes Vermeer.

That's it in the photo above. It's okay. Of course I don't know squat about brush work or technique or colors et al... but I do know what I like... and this... this is just kind of 'meh'. I know it's pretty, but I find the subject boring and the pose boring and really, aside from some dynamic capturing of shadow, I've seen paintings similar to this before.

I know, I know... never criticize anyone unless you can do better than yourself. It's a critique, not a criticism.

This is a criticism:

Still... there are people out there who consider this to be a masterpiece.

Personally, while I do acknowledge that it's a fine piece of art, I do believe that the term 'masterpiece' is tossed around quite easily. Too easily.

Having said all that, I do think that what the kids made was pretty impressive. I'm sure they followed a master plan telling them what colors and what pieces to use, though... because I can't see a nine-year-old have a clue as to how the painting should be reconstructed out of LEGO.

Read the article and see a slide show HERE.

Cheers
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment