Area: 377,780 square kilometers (142,771 square miles)
Land: 99.02 % making up 377,944 kilometers squared (145,925 square-miles.
Water: 0.8% - all its lakes and rivers.
Population: ~ 127,692,000
Capital City: Tokyo (formerly called Edo back in 1868 and beyond). Edo means 'estuary'. Tokyo means: To: east; Kyo: capital.
People: 98.3% Japanese; 1.7 % other (mostly Chinese or ethnic Korean)
Religion(s): 80% of Japanese adhere to more than one religion: Shinto (106.8 million), Buddhism (89.2 million), Christianity (3.0 million), others (9.8 million)
Prefectures: 47 provinces, though only 43 are designated as a 'ken' (県)(province/prefecture). Tokyo is a 'to' (都) ('metropolis'), Osaka and Kyoto are 'fu' (府) ('core urban zone'), and Hokkaido is a dō (道) ('circuit').
- Hokkaido Region: Hokkaido;
- Tohoku Region: Aomori, Iwate, Miyagi, Akita, Yamagata, Fukushima;
- Kanto Regions: Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Saitama, Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa;
- Chubu Region: Niigata, Toyama, Ishikawa, Fukui, Yamanashi, Nagano, Gifu, Shizukoa, Aichi;
- Kansai Region: Mie, Shiga, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Nara, Wakayama;
- Chugoku Region: Tottori, Shimane, Okayama, Hiroshima, Yamaguchi;
- Shikoku Region: Tokushima, Kagawa, Ehime, Koichi;
- Kyushu Region: Fukuoka, Saga, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Oita, Miyazaki, Kagoshima;
- Okinawa Region: Okinawa
Head of State: Emperor Akihito, ascended to throne 7 January 1989.
Prime Minister: Yoshihiko Noda, since 2 September 2011.
Foreign Minister: Foreign Minister: Koichiro Gemba, since 2 September 2011
Settlement: Paleolithic culture started around 30,000 BC in the Okinawa islands area (the Japanese archipelago) , with hunter-gathers at around 14,000 BC (Ainu and Yamato peoples); Yayoi people entered around 300BC
Foundation Day: February 11, 660 BC
First Emperor: Jimmu
That photo up above is of a pottery shard I own from around 150 BC. I have such bizarre stuff...