Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

An Amazing Japanese Smartphone Commercial

If a tree plays Bach in the woods and no one hears it… would Dr. Seuss' The Lorax be happy or sad?  It doesn't matter… even I don;t know where I was going with that clusterfug of wordplay. 

However…

This is something Matthew sent me yesterday… it's a Japanese television commercial that made its debut back in 2011, showing that once again Japan—It's a Wonderful Rife is at the forefront of historical advertising.

The beautiful video only has some 1,207 hits… and that's a crying shame, because without a doubt, it is a spectacular commercial.

The ad is for the NTT DoCoMo SH-08C smartphone - that's it in the photo above.

It's made from wood and has a kidneybean shape, and even though I do not have a cell or smartphone, it looks pretty cool. I have no idea how well it works, of course… whether its bark is worse than its bite, but that's not what is the most cool thing I want to share here.

It's video for the phone… that is actually quite incidental to the visual of the phone itself.

Here… watch the You Tube video of it… and I'll continue below:

Even though I am a former music teacher specializing in woodwinds and keyboards, it still took me a while to come up with composer of the music performed in the video.

It's Johann Sebastian Bach's Cantata 147, also known as "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"… which only sounds like some weird Japlish thing, but no… that's the proper English version leaving me confused how such a beautiful piece of music can have a name such as this. I desiring an explanation. (Not really, okay? Okay.)

Now… in case you are wondering if the video is fake, the director of the commercial says that aside from adjusting a few sound levels here and there, that wooden ball plunking down the wooden xylophone planks was all natural.

I 'wooden' have believed it.

Cheers
Andrew Joseph
(For those of you for whom English is not your first language… 'wooden' was my play on words for the phrase "wouldn't"… as the word is oft pronounced without the 't' sound, and is softened to a 'en' effect. The English language is bloody stupid, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment