Just this past month, I saw my first ever movie in 3D, and all I can say is they have come a long way from the 1950-80s. So... go see this one in 3D!
This movie, simply called Godzilla because that's what he/it wanted, is a reboot of the series, in this the second Godzilla monster movie to be filled entirely as an American production.
Directed by Gareth Edwards Godzilla is co-produced by Legendary Pictures and Warner Brothers Pictures (but not their sister, Dot). It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Brothers, except in Japan, where it will distributed by Toho Co. Ltd., who created Godzilla all the way back in 1954.
The plot... geez... if you are reading this, you have some idea, but essentially, Godzilla will come into being in our modern world thanks to something bad that mankind has done. The misunderstood Godzilla will then go one a destructive rampage, and humanity will have to figure out some way to stop and control it/him.
But... apparently Godzilla WON'T be born from a nuclear misunderstanding.
It's the plot in every Godzilla re-boot. This one will hopefully have the best and most realistic special effects yet, and will also feature a pretty decent cast led by Bryan Cranston, fresh from his stellar performance as Walter White/Heisenberg from the television show Breaking Bad.
Here's a clip of Bryan Cranston and co-star Elizabeth Olsen talking about the movie from Nerdist News:
Here's the current cast, as we know it:
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Lieutenant Ford
- Bryan Cranston as Scientist Joe Brody
- Elizabeth Olsen as nurse Elle Ford, wife of Lieutenant Ford
- Ken Watanabe as John
- Juliette Binoche as Ford's mother
- David Strathairn as "The Major"
- Richard T. Jones as a military figure "The Colonel"
- Victor Rasuk
- Akira Takarada (unspecified role)
- Sally Hawkins as a scientist
- Yuki Morita as Akio
- CJ Adams as young Ford
- Jared Keeso as Jump Master
- Patrick Sabongui as Sergeant Marcus Waltz
- Al Sapienza as Huddleston
- Brian Markinson as Whalen
- Carson Bolde as Sam
- Ken Yamamura (unspecified)
- Raj K. Bose as mine team member (uncredited)
- Christian Tessier (unspecified)
- Primo Allon as mine team member
- Jeric Ross as dying man in triage
- Warren Takeuchi as Akio's father
- Yuki Morita as Akio's mother
- Peter Dwerryhouse as wheelchair evacuee
- Chris West as FEMA camp survivor (uncredited)
You can also check out another blog article of mine that shows some footage from the movie - though it is anyone's guess if it will be used - HERE.
By the way, if you think Godzilla is just some cheesy monster movie, I urge you to get a look at the original 1954 movie - and not the one with Raymond Burr in it. I did a write-up on it HERE. It's is one dark movie. That link also has every Godzilla movie or animated cartoon appearance.
I am looking forward to this movie.