Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Wish Goes Awry

One should always be careful for what one wishes for.

Yesterday afternoon, it began raining outside in Toronto... and because I have a wonky roof I can't afford to have fixed, I was worried the rain would make its way into the house... down the walls,,, and eventually down to my computer room... but knowing of course that the water in the walls would eventually turn into some sort of mold or mildew that only I would be allergic to.

So I wished really hard that the rain would turn into that freezing rain Toronto was expecting... big whoop... freezing rain... what do I care... my Christmas shopping is done and I'm on vacation...

And so... whatever gods are out there... they actually listened to my wish and granted it. It began to get colder and the rain turned into freezing rain.

Great... two years ago I just wanted to get laid - thanks for nothing! But... this year... the gods listen to my pleas for the rain to not cause drips and drabs into my walls....

By 2AM on Sunday, the freezing rain continued... and I could see trees on my street (I looked) bowing from the frozen weight... and then... a flicker of power occurred... the microwave reset itself... and then again...

Not wanting to be stuck in the dark trying to take my contact lenses out, I shut down the old episodes of Doctor Who I was watching and turned off the lights... and moved upstairs... kaboom... there go the lights... there was lightning in the sky...

So... since I use a C-Pap machine to help me breath at night (sleep apnea), I need power to make the machine work so I can... well... not die at night from a heart attack...... so I went back downstairs determined to wait out the electrical outage...

At 3AM, the power came back on again for 1-2-3 seconds before I saw another lightning flash before landing in total darkness...

Now... 3AM is no big deal for me... but sitting in total darkness for 60 minutes... that's a recipe for sleep... so I knew I'd have to try and get some sleep....

I went up stairs... fumbled with the light switch (oh... right)... found my empty contact lens case... dug out my lenses and carefully placed them away for the night... as I moved the container away from the counter edge... I felt something... one of my lenses... apparently I missed the container... but I didn't miss the second time...

I have horrible eyesight without the lenses,,, and combine that with the inky blackness... well... I almost had an optical delusion thinking I could see my way around at night.

So... I moved my son from his room into ours... in  case the old tree there crashed into his place (always a possibility).. and went to sleep  - sans life-saving C-Pap machine.

Immediately I went to sleep, and immediately my wife left because of the snoring leaving my poor son to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...

I awoke the next morning... very tired... because without that machine I don't really sleep... and learned that my freezing rain wish had transformed some 250,000 residents of Toronto into powerless homeowners... and that it might be 72 hours before service as restored....

Twelve hours later... that 72 hour time table remains (never shrinking), and it's now 350,000 plus residents of Toronto without electrical power....

And... since the house has no heat... we decided to take a chance and drive 1 hour west to Guelph to sat with my in-laws... hoping they had power... and that they were home.... which is why I am able to write this non-traditional Japanese tale...

... and so... since February of 2011... we don't miss a day blogging here...

Now... I just hope the cat isn't dead at home (we'll go back in a day or two... ), trees haven't fallen into the house... the water pips haven't frozen and exploded... and that power is back sooner than expected.

I hope YOUR Christmas wish goes better than mine...

Cheers,
Andrew Joseph


 

2 comments:

  1. So YOU caused this ice storm! I knew it! ;-)
    Have a Happy Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete