Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Luigi CosPlay Death Stare Video

My friend Julien sent me the link to this video, so of course, because this is me, let's get some background.

The video features a guy at a convention - not sure if it's a comic book, or anime, or plain old CosPlay convention - dressed up (costume playing) as Luigi, the plum boring plumber brother of Mario from the Nintendo (of Japan) video game series of... well, Donkey Kong (created by Japanese wunderkid Miyamoto Shigeru), though Luigio himself did not make an appearance until the fourth stand-up arcade game, Mario Bros.

I recall playing it in 1983 while having my quarter taped to a string and fishing it in and out of the credit slot to gain 50 credits... it was one stupid game, and I hated it...

Mario and his younger and taller fraternal twin brother Luigi are two Italian-American dudes: Mario is, of course the construction worker from the original series, but in this game, Mario turns in his construction cap for a plumbers cap in an effort to help Luigi defeat creatures that have been coming from the sewers below New York City.

Since I always loved Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. even more, this game with its lack of Donkey Kong apes was quite the boor for me.

And then came Super Mario Bros. in 1985 for the Nintendo home video game system... a side-scrolling video that was supposed to be a prequel to that very popular but to me horrid Mario Bros. arcade game released two years earlier... but the thing is... Super Mario Bros. was one of the best home video games ever.

In this game, Mario and Luigi are tasked with making their way through the Mushroom Kingdom to rescue Princess Peach from a bad guy named Bowser... in Japan, he was known as Daimaō 大魔王, the "Great Demon King")

In the U.S. and Canada, though, Bowser was called both "Bowser, King of the Koopa" and "The sorcerer king" in the Super Mario Bros. instruction manual. I'm so confused.

Luigi, for almost all of the video games featuring Mario, is the second-tier hero - the one played by Player 2, and I concur. I never wanted to play as Luigi. I hated him. Mario was okay. Luigi - attsamattaforyou?

In fact, only three times since first making it to the big screen of video games has Luigi actually been a star:
  1. 1991 in Mario Is Missing! for the PC and Macintosh, and Nintendo SuperNES and NES systems
  2. 2001 in Luigi's Mansion for the Nintendo GameCube;
  3. 2013 in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for the Nintendo 3DS - this one I played and it was pretty good. 
In these three games, Mario needs to be rescued, and little brother Luigi is doing the rescuing.

The fact that Luigi's Dark Mansion: Dark Moon was the sequel to Luigi's Mansion - coming quickly afterwards - 12 years later - will tell you that the character had not really grabbed audiences with his plumber aplomb.

As mentioned, that Dark Moon sequel was a fun game, as I played it when my son went to bed rather than writing even more articles for this blog.

Which brings us back to the video that Julien sent me.

It features Luigi bombing other CosPlay characters at the convention by tossing a turtle shell at them and then driving by in his Luigi Kart performing what has been described as his 'death stare' - 38 times.

It's amusing, and I can honestly state that for the first time ever, I did not wonder where Mario was.



This video was found over at www.break.com.
 
Thanks, Julien!
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment