Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Friday, August 15, 2014

August 20, 2014... What the Friday? Top Secret Live!

There are many times when I wish I was back in Japan, but, strangely enough, this is one of those few times that doesn't involve sex.

My friend Mike Rogers has organized a free music concert - a Japanese rock and roll concert - on August 20, 2014 involving a few groups that remind me of Fishbone - except much edgier.

Although limited to 250 people and is by invitation only, if I was in Tokyo, I'd like to think that I could have scored an invite from Mike for myself and a lady friend to check it out and have a good time.

I'm a rock and roll fan, and have previously considered myself a suburban punk (Thank you Otto from the 1984 movie Repo Man), and after I got a taste of some of the groups playing the gig, I can only say I am impressed.

Mike (that's him in the bottom left of the poster above - the guy with the pained expression on the right), is involved in so many different aspects of Japan that I wouldn't even know where to begin, suffice to say he wasn't just a suburban punk, he was a punk rock musician... which means he played three chords and played them loud. But, despite being the antithesis to punkdom, Mike was a professional musician. That means hes done some hard drugs, been drunk more than you, and has spent some time in an asylum.

No really. He has written about that sh!t and it is dark, man.

It's like that song by the Forgotten Rebels: Surfing On Heroin... my favorite punk song ever. The YouTube version below is the cleanest - a cut from their album, so you can hear the lyrics... even though there is a more natural live and fun video out there...

I saw them with Annette and Frankie down on Junkie Beach at Lee's Palace in Toronto a long time ago. I think.

Sorry... flashback... so anyways, Mike knows his sh!t.

By the way... Mike and I have been in agreement about No Ads on our blogs, and not having an issue with anyone using our own photographs for their blogs - as long as no one is making any money offa them. It's why I don't think he'll mind me appropriating the poster above for this blog... It's for everyone, anyhow.

If you are in the Tokyo area on August 20th, and can finagle an invite, go and see the show.

Click HERE, to visit one of Mike's blogs: Marketing Japan to read more about the show, and to listen to the video links of some of the groups performing at the concert!

The Man, The Twenties and Taffy are all pretty awesome, and are groups I would pay to watch. I'm just a brown suburban punk who doesn't have a lot of money, so I don't utter that claim lightly.

This public service announcement was made because I felt like it.

Bravo!
Andrew 'Kick Out The Jams' Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment