Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Friday, August 29, 2014

Uncle Scrooge Goes To Japan

Here's a wee bit of comic book homage that will whet your appetite until midnight tonight when by then I will have hopefully come up with an interesting topic.

I know I said I was working on a couple of lists, but truthfully, to do them justice it takes more than a few hours apiece... and I have other duties that require my attention.

Having said that, the above image is taken from issue #116 of Donald Duck published by Western Publishing's Gold Key comic book division in 1967 in a story called "The Case Of The Super Secret Mission." It's NOT drawn and written by master Duck artist Carl Barks, so while I'll read it, I already know after three pages that it is nowhere on the same par as his stuff. I knew it as an eight-year-old, too.

Regardless... I always look for a Japan or aviation reference for use in one of the two blogs I do on a regular basis, and oh my stars and garters, but there was one on page 2 of this Donald Duck issue.

Featuring a pair of nasty Beagle Boys mugging Donald's poor old man of a Uncle Scrooge who is the richest person on the planet with an estimated: Five multiplujillion, nine impossibidillion, seven fantasticatrillion dollars and sixteen cents.

The crime or rather near-crime takes place with one Beagle Boy leaping from the upturned corner of a Japanese roof (the upturned corner may have had something to do with controlling rainwater runoff since there were no gutters), with the iconic and poorly drawn Mt. Fuji in the background.

Like I said... NOT Unca Carl Barks... just someone else who gets the headshapes and more all wrong.

Later,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment