Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

103-Year-Old Japanese Man Wants To Race Usain Bolt

I love this story.

Here's a story about Japanese sprinter Miyazaki Hidekichi (surname first), who is 103-years-old, and who has cheekily issued a challenge to Usain Bolt - the fastest man on the planet with a 9.58 time back in 2009.

Okay, it's not so much a real challenge as it would be a chance for Miyazaki to meet the man.
Still, the Japanese runner is the fastest man in his age bracket, which is apparently one in which you just need to finish the race to be considered the fastest.

I kid.

Miyazaki was born on September 22, 1910.

He is 1.524-meters (5'-0") tall and 41.73-kilograms (92-pounds) soaking wet… no, he probably weighs more if he is soaking wet… holds the 100-meter dash record for centenarians, at 29.83 seconds, which is still 10 seconds off my record as a 11-year-old, but then again… I probably nicked a few seconds off that as I got older, and then added a few seconds to it as I got even older still.

I am so impressed with Miyazaki, however.

"I'm keeping the dream alive. I try to stay in top shape and stay disciplined and healthy. That's important for everyone — even Usain Bolt," says Miyazaki.

That's almost enough to make me want to stand up and applaud him, except I'm tired. I'll do it later.

Apparently Miyazaki can also perform the shotput:


The only thing I take issue with, are Miyazaki's nod to the 1970s-style shorts, which may have been in style when he was a young man of 65... okay, never mind. 

You can see Miyazaki do some running HERE.

Ganbatte, kudasai!
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment