Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Getting Mono In Japan

While it probably is a miracle that I didn't get mono, IE mononucleosis while in Japan considering all of the kissing I did, the fact remains that I didn't.

But what is mono?

hell, you don't think I really feel like talking about the kissing disease here, do you? Nope.

I'm taking about the Japanese word 'mono', which is pronounced as "moh-noh", with your lips kind of pushed out into a kissy-faced pucker. Which I discovered just now accidentally.

Anyhow, mono.

In Japan, mono is recognized as physical objects - tangible things, if you will.

However, historically speaking, it included the meaning of dreams, imagination and ideas… so it pretty much was a way of looking at thoughts and objects… which is pretty effing broad.


Then again, grammatically speaking, in Japanese the word 'mono' has no real meaning in a sentence, as it is a word that implies either an object or a person or (historically) an idea in a sentence.

Look… I'm no Frank Einstein when it comes to grammar, so let me just pull an answer from Yahoo! Answers:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100628202213AAGZfji

The point in question is why some sentences will use the Japanese word 'mono' and others the word 'koto'.

koto is a term used to refer to a idea, action, event, etc.
"sono koto desu" - that thing - reference to "that thing we were talking about" = idea

mono is used when the term referred to is usually tangible noun
"sono mono desu" - that thing - reference to pointing to store clerk "i would like that thing"

koto ga hoshii would not be a natural way of speaking, because technically you cannot "want an idea/action/event"

Your meaning would probably get across but it's simply the wrong way to use in that form of sentence.

And even though I never came across this particular issue when I was trying to learn myself how to speak swell Nihonjin gabba-gabba, it is a reason I point to why I simply could NOT learn how to speak it.

I barely understand it in English, so how can I understand it in Japanese? I'm special that way. I can read, write and speak English well enough, but please don't ask me the grammar behind it. All I know is that I can have Lolly get my adverbs here.

Mono… the invisible word that means nothing, but apparently everything.

I'm sleepy now.

Cheers,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment