Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Saturday, November 1, 2014

This Blog Is Mentioned In The Huffington Post

I don't know why I think this is a big deal, but I do.

As many of you know, I used to write for the Toronto Star newspaper, one of the biggest papers in North America - granted that was 25 years ago or less, but I made the big-time right out of school.

I even left school a couple of months early to work there - a fact made easier by my journalism school (Humber College) saying 'anyone who gets hired by the Toronto Star gets the automatic graduation from us' - or words to that effect.

I quit that dream job towards the end of that summer of 1990 because I was also hired on by the JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching) Programme to go and teach junior high school English in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan.

Although I did write for three years while there, conceiving a monthly column about Japan for various prefecture JET newsletters, arriving back in Canada at the end of 1993 I didn't do any writing - at least not much… just some scripts for comic books getting maybe 25 or so published.

After a total of 15 years after the Toronto Star reporting and writing, I got back into the whole writing everyday gig as a writer for an industrial magazine - a job I hold to this day - coming up to 10 years in a few months time. 

So… when I started this blog on Japan a little over five years ago, it was like me coming full-circle on everything I worked for that last year of school at Humber - except I don't get paid for this stuff. No big deal… this blog is what I do to relax.

After recently writing about a food craze sweeping Japan, I was STILL more than psyched up to receive word from a very good friend who apparently wears the other half of the amulet I have, that my version of the story was linked to an article in the Huffington Post - another very big newspaper - back on October 22, 2014.

Okay, it's actually the Huffington Post Canada, but I think it's the same paper but with the addition of a few more stories about hockey pucks and maple syrup.

Even though I have plenty of published article in newspapers—more than a few of which were front page items that the world, or Canada at least followed for a couple of weeks, now nearly 25 years later getting a link to a big newspaper seems like a big deal to me.

It's amazing how much affirmation some writers require to ensure they are still good enough to write. Stow that waa-mbulance. I'm feeling better.

The story in the Huffington is about fried maple leafs being consumed in Toronto. Mine is about Japan originating it and about how awful maple leaves taste.

The link for Japan—It's A Wonderful Rife sits at the very bottom of the Huffington Post article HERE.

Mine is still the longest article of all - including the Huffington Post, but check out the First We Feast blog - good stuff about the whole phenomenon there. 

Thanks - to all concerned-for noticing.

What is really amazing is that my friend actually noticed the link to this blog at all. What the heck was she doing scanning stuff all the way down there? Still - I'm glad that she did.

I'm still pretty sure I won't make maple leaves a regular part of my diet, however.

As far as blogs go... this is actually my 2,510th blog that I have written. Holy crap. I really did just want to get to 100 articles and then I would end it. Shows what I know. You can't always get what you want. Luckily.

Kanpai,    
Andrew Joseph

2 comments:

  1. I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don’t know how to cook or clean, don’t want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women?

    American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least.

    This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women.

    BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN!

    www.boycottamericanwomen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your points - and personally I understand where you are coming from. But... not every person is like this.

      Delete