Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Monday, December 29, 2014

Noboko & Andrew - Say Nothing With Flowers

I call up Noboko 30 minutes after she storms out of my apartment. She doesn't pick up the phone.

So I call again every five minutes... she still doesn't pick up the phone.

In fact she doesn't seem to want to pick up the phone for the next five days... and doesn't... but there is that tell-tale knock on my door at 8PM on Thursday evening...

It's Noboko... and she has a bouquet of flowers - probably given to her by some admirer, I think... because that's what a rebuffed guy always thinks.

Of course she went out ans wasted the money on flowers for me, but I know it's the thought that counts.

But what is the thought?

In the interim of her not calling or answering my telephone pleas, my father had called me to tell me that my mother was very sick and that I should be prepared to come home soon. Despite my obvious questions, I'm just told that she is sick - never mind what - just sick and it looks bad.

I'm confused... just a year earlier a very healthy mom came to visit me in Japan and had the time of her life here with everyone treating her like a queen. But I suppose, when it comes to health, sh!t happens.

I dislike not knowing... well... anything. My father treated me like the child he supposed I was, but dammit, I'm 28-years-old, living in a foreign country, teaching English in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken for nearly three years now... I live by myself, and know how to look after myself quite well thank you. The woman I want to marry seems to be in a bit of disagreement about how we should live our life together, but despite appearances, I'll handle whatever life throws at me.

I don't tell Noboko about my father's cryptic phone call, because I'm not one to play the pity card... I mean I am, but I don't see why it should be played now.

If I'm going to spend my life with someone, it has to be all cards on the table... nothing hidden. I suppose I was naive then, because it seems that relationships are built on secrets. For better or mostly worse.

I ask Noboko what she wants to do about us.

She says she doesn't know... which I suppose I expected, but wished to any and all gods listening that it wasn't so.

Noboko is afraid of upsetting the apple cart that is her father's life. She fears that if he learns his darling and only daughter is in love with a gaijin that he would step in and end it.

Noboko says that would end it right now, and we wouldn't have the next two months together before my contract to teach is up and I have to go home to Toronto.

So... is that it? Love the one your with for however long the two of us have? How fugging stupid is that?

I suppose I'll find out.

Because I'm not giving up on us.

Next... I want to have dinner at her parent's place again.

Kanpai,
Andrew Joseph       

No comments:

Post a Comment