Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Happy Birthday, Rob

Rob Jones - Happy birthday!

I've known him in Toronto since we were 14 years old... a calm, decent guy who would give you the shirt off his back regardless of the expense to himself.

During March of 1991, when I was in Japan for that first year of three, I decided I would write a letter to him every business day until his birthday.

But after one day of 'hi-how-are-you-I'm-fine' pap, I write a short story.

Although I was previously a recent journalism grad who quit the Toronto Star to go to Japan on the JET Programme, aside from maybe seven or eight "It's A Wonderful Rife" article I had written for the local AJET newsletter, I had not written any short story since I was 16... and it was pretty crappy back then.

So.... I created a short story. The next day I did another short story... then another... then two in a day... then two more... then three a day... I have no idea what the hell was going on in my noggin, but I sat down at a computer with a blank slate of ideas, and later I'd have two or three completed short stories. Some comedic, some dramatic, the inkling chapters of what I would later turn into a novella or two...

Writing became easy.

Because of that, I am sure, it's why I do what I am doing now. I write in my day-job for money and write this daily blog for a living.

I don't think I owe him, or anything like that, but I am highly respectful of where I am today, doing what I enjoy doing.

Buddha... imagine if I had e-mail back then - if it had existed in 1991... I might not have conceived of the idea or need to write a letter every day... I'd not be a writer now...

Regardless - Happy birthday, Rob!

Kanpai,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment