Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Nice Ice, Suntory Baby!

Although not a big fan of whiskey (or whisky, even), I know the Japanese are.

Considered a drink for the elite. pretty much every one (male) drinks it to appear more posh than the drunken slovenly salaryman that they are. I don't blame them.

Everyone wants to seem more with it.

But… check out these pictures around us!

Created by the Tokyo ad agency TBWA\HAKUHODO - now there's a mouthful - we have the campaign it created on behalf of Suntory Whisky.

The presentation and all of its various forms won six awards at the 2015 Asia Pacific Ad Festival (AdFest) in Thailand.

In the video below (posted on YouTube) we are privy to some cool jazz beats as we see how the art of Japanese whisky creates its 3D on the Rocks ice cubes.


Cutting edge? Certainly.

Although some bloggers call this 3D printing, there is no printer involved per se… it's millwork at its best, featuring a CAD (computer-aided design) software program… something I first saw in action 20 years ago - and I'm sure it's been around longer than that - a CNC (computer numerical control)  machine carefully etching wood and metals to a desired shape and form.

Unlike 3D printing that builds UP an object from layers of plastic, the 3D mill shaves the ice away to create the programmed image.

Regardless… it is impressive.

It makes me want to be a slovenly elitist bastard sucking back a nice Suntory whisky (Eh! where's the 'e?!) - but only if I can have a nicely sculptured Kinkakuji (Kyoto's Golden Pavilion - Topmost photo) in it.


… or maybe a 3D version of Honey Ryder from the James Bond flick Dr. No - complete with a nice pair of conch's. I know I'd be sipping that all night long...

Godzilla needs to drink more water, if his urine is going to look this color.
I'm unsure if I would want Godzilla in there radioactivating my drink (you'll notice the artist created the CLASSIC Godzilla icecube - not the Americanized 'tubby' one), or Michelangelo's David swimming naked with his doodle in my booze…

There are more examples, of course - search for yourself on-line via keywords 'Suntory Ice cubes'.

Kanpai!
Andrew Joseph
For Julien:
For fun, say in a gravely voice "I'm drunk Batman", suck the whisky back and then try to say it again in that same gravely voice. Smoooooooooth.

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!! I'm totally going to use that line now when I'm drinking.....Suntory Whiskey ;). Funny enough I do have an ice cube tray of the Bat symbol. Jaxson calls it Bat-Ice.

    ReplyDelete