Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Old Japanese Plastic Model Kit

Back before I went to Japan as a 25-year-old, still not considered datable by the women of Canada, I filled my spare time collecting comic books, playing dungeons and dragons and watching Star Trek reruns in the comfort of my parent's basement.

I was also coaching women's soccer, playing baseball and teaching piano and clarinet while also going to journalism school. So I wasn't a complete nerd.

Being good at sports saved me from that designation at least. It just made me a nerd.

As well as all of the above, I would also build plastic model kits.

I had been doing that since I was six-years-old, first constructing a submarine and submerging it in my goldfish tank unaware that the glue would kill my fish. Lesson learned. Sorry, fish.

As a kid, I began building model aircraft, joing the Revell Master Modeler's Club with gave me some plastic tools with which to make my modelling career that much more fun.

Oh yeah, I had also joined the Hohn Casablanca Modeling School, graduated and did a couple of runway shows... and yes, I still know all the turns and stances, sometimes practicing them at work to confuse my fellow employees who wonder just what I am.

After the aircraft, I graduated to cars, perfecting my paint jobs before moving on to the more challenging kits involving seacraft - especially those involving sails and rigging, loving the chance the flex the digital dexterity to tie bits of tiny string into intricate knots thereby explaining why the skill was easily tranferrable when I dates Junko.

In Japan, I was into puzzles, artwork, videogames (continuing this from when I was 10), collecting weaponry (such as ninja stars and swords) and... I even built a model of the TV show Thunderbirds aircraft - I can't wait for the new movie that is coming out of it.

But, what I wanted, and couldn't find in Japan, however, was a model kit depicting Japanese weapons...

Silly me... they USED to have such kits, just not in the 1990s. 

Here is a cool model kit I found on-line, manufactured by BANDAI in the 1970s. It is part of the manufacturer's Kabuto helmet collection - this one featuring the samurai Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu (surname first).

This kit is supposed to be very detailed with intricate detail work, and includes gold-plated parts and braiding.

If I wasn't getting laid every other week by whatever woman felt like picking me up in a bar, I would have been in nerd heaven.

Anyhow, the point is... just because someone is a nerd, doesn't mean they are a complete nerd.

I still enjoy building LEGO dioramas.

Kanpai,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment