Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, July 23, 2015

More Making Out In Japanese - Book Review

The good folks over  at Tuttle Publishing sent me over four books for review - three on the Japanese alphabets, and one on real conversational Japanese.

Let's start with the latter today… the others.. I'm going to try out and then give my opinion.

More Making Out In Japanese - first published in 1988, revised in 2015. This is a completely revised modern culture conversational street-wise Japanese phrase book.

Originally compiled by Todd Geers and Erika Hoburg, this new 2015 edition is revised by Elisha Geers.

First things first.

I read the original "Making Out In Japanese" book by Todd and Erika back when I was living in Japan between 1990 and 1993.

In fact, I purchased this book - secretly - in December of 1990 when Matthew and I went to Tokyo… after my then-girlfriend and fellow AET Ashley went away to Thailand without me… something she had cooked up back in October after she broke up with me for a week.

Ashley and I were either very good together or very bad together… and when I saw 'bad', I'm not talking naughty… I'm talking they have no business being in the same country kind of bad.

I was probably too much of a caring boyfriend, which may have meant in her eyes - smothering, but… and I kept detailed records of our relationship - very detailed - I still think she was just overwhelmed by my stronger personality that garnered the attention in a room… which would then bring her unwanted attention because she was essentially shy. That's cool. I can dig it 25 years later. All is forgiven. Except for that Thanksgiving meal… that was just… ignorant.

Anyhow… now that you know I can hold a grudge… let's talk about Making Out in Japanese for a couple of paragraphs before we get into the new and improved More Making Out In Japanese book. 

The original book was a slim tome … but it was a godsend.

I had been learning what I thought was conversational Japanese from veracious text books… and then, I saw Making Out In Japanese… here… at last… was conversational Japanese that was practical for people my own age.

Keep in mind that I was in my mid-20s… was recently a virgin… living on my own for the first time ever… and there were all these hot Japanese women who seemed to want to talk to me whenever Ashley and I would break up, which (un)fortunately was often.

But… I couldn't converse with them, unless they could speak English.

And… to tell the truth, unless they physically threw themselves at me, their language skills were not clear enough for me to ever know if I should make a move first.

And so… I always waited until the woman made the first move. I might be a sex maniac, but I'm not going to be labeled as one.

Making Out In Japanese - the book - allowed me to memorize conversational fragments that I could use in typical conversation with a young woman.

You know what I mean. There's how you talk to your grandmother, sister or teacher… and then there's how you talk with your friends and even how you talk with members of the opposite sex who you are either interested in getting to "know" or those with whom you are out partying with.

Colloquial speech. 

Like many people, I speak proper (insert language here), but in my case, English.

I speak it, read it and write with a fairly high degree of accuracy. I'm certainly not in the Shakespeare domain, but I'm certainly further along the food chain than someone who says "Who's Your Daddy?" in 2015.

Back in 1990, I could also speak slang… but note that it more of a suburban slang that could be understood by anyone who ever lived in the suburbs in North America.

In Japan… the young people were just like me. They would speak polite Japanese around those that required it, but would slip into a more comfortable vernacular when surrounded by like-minded individuals… they peeps, if you will.

And… it's an almost totally alien language.

With formality removed, the slang statements and words used in Making Out In Japanese helped me hit on Japanese women… and sleep with those I wanted to - and not just the ones who spoke enough English.

It helped me make out in Japan.

It was a bloody good book, and I owe quite a few of the notches on my bedpost in Japan to the phrases I was able to conquer in that book.

I have only glanced at the pages of the revised More Making Out In Japanese - a sequel to the book I first read… but without having to go fully in-depth, I know I can wholeheartedly recommend the book to anyone who is
  1. trying to get laid in Japan;
  2. how to really meet Japanese people and get to know them better than the one-night stand; 
  3. how to take the relationship to the next level; 
  4. how to win an argument in Japanese;
  5. how to succeed in clubs or bars… the important stuff.
The book offers bits of information on how to act in real social situations - like karaoke, weddings, and more.

The book - like all in this series - is extremely easy to use.

I should note that for many slang or straight talks, the authors have presented both a male and female phrasing. Brilliant… Canadian men sure do talk differently from Canadian women, so why wouldn't the Japanese do the same?

For your convenience, and learning edification… each phrase is first written in English, with a romaji (Romanized) form so that you can read the Japanese phrase… and then there's the same sentence written in Japanese, comprising where applicable, hiragana, katakana and kanji - because sometimes you just might want to write out your thoughts or questions out.

For a mere US$7.95, More Making Out In Japanese will provide you with an ROI (Return On Investment) almost immediately, provided you use the phases contained within at the correct time.

Yes, the book could help you get laid (if you were me), but.. and this is the way you should look at it… it will help expand your overall Japanese experience.

From Tuttle Publishing (www.tuttlepublishing.com), More Making Out In Japanese is a must have on your bookshelf… only don't keep it there… try it…

Your mileage may vary,
Andrew "I never got caught with my pants down unless I wanted to" Joseph






    

No comments:

Post a Comment