Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Friday, July 10, 2015

Researchers Say Coffee Reduces Mortality Risk

I really want to write about just how strikingly beautiful that woman is in the photograph above.

Wow… while I don't have a shot at her now (because I'm in Toronto… yes, that's the reason I'm choosing to believe), I would have made a decent play for if I was 15 years younger. You wouldn't believe how good I looked then.

Unfortunately… I'm not 15 years younger, not in Japan, and not trying to pick up that beautiful woman who is trying to act all nonchalant in that coffee shop… but… I digress… let's talk about coffee…

Ahhh… coffee… whenever I drink coffee, I am reminded of a beautiful woman I once met at a coffee shop… who, when she first glanced at me looked like she was so unimpressed (apparently this is a reoccurring theme with myself and women)… but maybe it was just nerves… maybe. She never did let me buy her a coffee, but she did borrow $10 from me. Ha! I just remembered that… That's so funny. Keep yer money, Alice. That kiss was worth it! No… wait… now you owe me even more money! ;)

Okay… I'm now talking about women AND coffee… focus Andrew… focus…

According to a recent study conducted by the Japan Public Health Center… Japanese researchers claim that drinking coffee is good for you.

Apparently if you drink three to four cups of coffee a day (every day), you have a 40 percent less chance of developing heart, cerebral vascular or respiratory diseases - compared to those who do not partake or barely partake of the bean.
Although this study used some 90,000 people - an excellent sample size… I want to state that no where in the news article I read on this subject, did the journalist mention just what a cup of coffee consisted of:
Was it a large, medium or small - how many mLs?:
How much sugar was used relative to the cup size of the coffee?
How much sweetener was used relative to the cup size of the coffee?
How much milk was used relative to the cup size of the coffee?
How much cream was used relative to the cup size of the coffee?
What percent of milk was used relative to the cup size of the coffee?
What percent of cream was used relative to the cup size of the coffee?
Did they Irish up their cup of coffee like I wish I could do here at work?
What did these people EAT in their daily lives?
Was exercise monitored?
Smoking? Sexual activity? Stress?
These are all important factors  - and I'm sure there are plenty more - when coming out with blanket statements that blah-blah-blah is good for you, or blah-blah-blah is bad for you.
Now… it doesn't man that this research study didn't consider all those things… and in fact… they might have… I just don't see evidence (thanks to the original news story), that they did.
I hate it when so-called journalists don't ask questions and only provide half a fricking story.
Now I'm going to have to go and find the actual article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and get those answers… heck… if coffee is medically good for you, as it is for the soul - then great… but if too much coffee, man, is bad for you, then let's get the facts straight. If you have to exercise and eat right while drinking four coffees less sugar and cream, then I don't want to live in such a world.
Hmmm… I went to the website to download a copy of study… but they want $40 for me to have use of the document for 30 days. I have no idea if that's unreasonable or not, but I'm not running this blog because I'm trying to get rich or because I am rich.
Should you wish to obtain a copy, I wouldn't stop you: click HERE
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/101/5/1029.full
I could, however, read the abstract of the study from the March on-line issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
The report was put together by Japanese researchers: Saito Eiko; Inoue Manami; Sawada Norie; Shimazu Taichi; Yamaji Taiki; Iwasaki Motoki; Sasazuki Shizuka; Noda Mitsuhiko; Iso Hiroyasu, and; Tsugane Shoichiro.
The abstract of the report reads:
Background: Despite the rising consumption of coffee worldwide, few prospective cohort studies assessed the association of coffee intake with mortality including total and major causes of death.
Objective: We aimed to investigate the association between habitual coffee drinking and mortality from all causes, cancer, heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, respiratory disease, injuries, and other causes of death in a large-scale, population-based cohort study in Japan.
Design: We studied 90,914 Japanese persons aged between 40- and 69-years-old without a history of cancer, cerebrovascular disease, or ischemic heart disease at the time of the baseline study. Subjects were followed up for an average of 18.7 years of age, during which 12,874 total deaths were reported. The association between coffee intake and risk of total and cause-specific mortality was assessed by using a Cox proportional hazards regression model with adjustment for potential confounders.
Results: We showed an inverse association between coffee intake and total mortality in both men and women. HRs (95% CIs) for total death in subjects who consumed coffee compared with those who never drank coffee were 0.91 (0.86–0.95) for <1 0.76="" 0.85="" 1="" 3="" and="" cup="" cups="" d="" for="">5 cups/d (P-trend < 0.001). Coffee was inversely associated with mortality from heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, and respiratory disease.
Conclusion: With this prospective study, we suggest that the habitual intake of coffee is associated with lower risk of total mortality and three leading causes of death in Japan.
Cool… so… drinking coffee helps fend off the bony arm of death a while longer… but it did contribute to the death of three people in the study.
Good or bad… the newspaper article says that the researchers could not find any relationship between coffee drinking and death from cancer… however, they note that coffee drinkers had 24% less risk of dying from cancer than non-coffee drinkers.
How the fug do you figure that?
What… of the 90,914 people sampled, 24% of the non-coffee drinkers DID get cancer?
Did they sample workers at nuclear power plants or something?
How do you measure LESS risk. Conversely, if you are using the facts given, 76% of the non- coffee drinkers had less risk of getting cancer? What's the actual average Japanese risk level of getting cancer… that's what we need to know to fully understand that statement.
How long was this study going on for? Well… it actually went on for years!
The research was conducted on 90,914 people aged between 40 and 69 living in 10 prefectures in the 1990s, and followed up on them until 2011 to determine the relationship between their daily habits and major causes of death among Japanese.
Check it out… these researchers wanted to know their daily habits! How many poops, pees, smokes, drinks, masturbations, stress levels… no… they would have to guess at that. I would assume they took into consideration family medical history… type of work… stuff like that… did they try and get 90,000 people that were essentially all the same? That's what you really want if we are to garner fair and accurate conclusions. 
But look… I'm not a scientific researcher - heck, even if I had the spare $40 to download a copy of the study, I'm unsure if I would have understood all of the scientific goobledygook.
What you need to be aware of, is that the accuracy of any study is affected by what type of questions are being asked. Sometimes the failure to ask a question is equally as important as the one that is asked. People also interpret the same question in different ways - so are the responses valid enough to present an accurate summation of a trend?
I say, no… but I do trust the researchers to present an accurate representation of fact based on their abilities.  
According to the researchers, the more coffee subjects drank, the less risk they had of dying.
According to the newspaper article I wrote - they obviously purchased it for the writer:
Those who said they drank three to four cups a day had a 36 percent less risk of dying from heart diseases such as angina and heart attack.
The figure rose to 43 percent less for cerebral vascular diseases such as hemorrhaging and stroke, and to 40 percent less for respiratory diseases, such as pneumonia.
The team, which included researchers from the National Cancer Center and the University of Tokyo, could not analyze in detail those who drank five cups or more per day because the number was too small - to which I say BRAVO for not giving us fake numbers based on something ridiculously small like a four person sample.
Chlorogenic acid, which adjusts blood sugar levels and blood pressure, and caffeine, which helps maintain healthy blood vessels, both appear in coffee and may have positively affected the results, the team said.
Meanwhile, men who drink more than five cups of green tea have a 24 percent less risk of dying from cerebral vascular diseases and a 45 percent less risk of dying from respiratory diseases.
Women drinkers of coffee were found to have a 37 percent less risk of dying from heart disease, the research said.
So… let's leave it at that… go have a coffee or three… I'd recommend having it black to avoid excess fats or sugar intake, however. Eat less, eat greens, exercise. Don't drink alcohol or smoke. Or… if you do… do everything in moderation. Or… do as I say, not as I do. 
I could go for coffee…
Andrew Joseph

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, you HAD to remind me about the damn guineapig food money :P

    (he's finally dead now -- kicked the bucket last month)

    ReplyDelete