Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Coca-Cola Japan Dessert Recipes

I have no idea why I hadn't heard of this type of stuff before, but why not utilize a carbonated beverage in your food recipes?

They certainly use beer (beer batters, and stuck up a chicken's but to give tenderness, or flavor in meat pies), as well as whiskeys et al… and I've heard that some people utilize a hemp-like product when making brownies.

So, I decided to bounce over to the Coca-Cola Japan website HERE to see if they had any recipes we could follow - mostly because I do enjoy my Coca-Cola products.

I was recently sent some very cool special edition glasses and a six-pack of bottled Coke that honored Coca-Cola's celebration of the 100th anniversary of the iconic Coke bottle shape - so yes, I can be bought with kindness.

I am not very good at all in reading Japanese… and even when I can read words, I'm not sure what the heck I am reading. So, I have used Google Translate to provide me with some much needed help… and even though any translation is going to have its problems, I have done my best to make it seem legible and have re-written it in Coca-Cola Japan's voice but with my words.

So, for the wonderful reader Alice who likes to cook and discuss food, let's get cooking…   

Coca-Cola Sweets Recipes
While many of us simply can't wait for the end of the rainy season, indoor activities such as cooking may help pass the time in an enjjoyable manner.

We (Coca-Caola) have a number of recipes to choose from and will, from time-to-time, provide carefully-selected recipes that are both easy and challenging featuring sweet delicacies.

Cake, without a doubt, can grab the attention at any party that the attention even at a party, so we got some chocolate chip cookies, as well as some ice candy—because it is still the summer.

These classic recipes will let you power up the power of Coca -Cola!


Coca-Cola Cake
Cooking time : 1 hour and 15 minutes (with a working time of 30 minutes and baking time of 45 minutes).

To create a cake: 23cm x 33cm

Ingredients for Cake body:
Sugar 400g
Bread flour - 130g
Cake flour - 130g
Coca-Cola - 250ml
Small marshmallow - about 2 cups
Butter or margarine - 115g
Salad oil - 115g
Cocoa - 3 tablespoons
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Milk - 110ml
Lemon juice - 1/2 tablespoon
Eggs - 2
Vanilla essence - little

Ingredients for Frosting:
Butter - 115g
Cocoa - 3 tablespoons
Coca-Cola - 90ml
Icing sugar - 450g
Vanilla essence - little
Pecan nuts - about 1 cup, finely chopped


How To Make - the Cake body:
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃.
2. Put sugar and bread flour and cake flour in a bowl, add the marshmallows.
3. Place butter in a saucepan, as well as salad oil, cocoa, mixed with the Coca-Cola until it boils, and mix well over sugar/flour/marshmallow mixture (point #2).
4. Combine milk and lemon juice with the baking soda until it dissolves. Mix well and then add the eddies and a dash of vanilla essence.
5. Coat the cake pan with oil, pour in the cake contents and bake between 35-45 minutes…

How to make - the Frosting
1. Mix butter, cocoa and Coca-Cola in a saucepan.
2. Heat and stir continually to mix while adding powdered sugar until it boils.
3. Add the vanilla essence and pecan nuts.
4. (Editor note) The recipe says you should add the frosting immediately after the cake is pulled from the oven, but most of us know that only makes the frosting melt… so perhaps let it cool down (stop cooking) for 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven and then frost the cake.

A further 10-20 minutes later, after the cake cool, then you can slice it. But I would assume you bakers have better knowledge on when to cut than I do.



Coca-Cola Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cooking time : 35 minutes (working time of 20 minutes and a baking time of 15 minutes)

Should make about 32 cookies

Ingredients:
Bread flour - 150g
Cake flour - 150g
Salt - 1 pinch
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Brown sugar - 65g
Granulated sugar - 200g
Butter - 115g
Egg - 1
Vanilla essence - little
Coca-Cola - 90ml
Chocolate chips (semi-sweet) - 1 cup

How to make
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃.
2. With the flour in a bowl, mix in salt and baking soda.
3. In another bowl, mix together butter and brown sugar until it is smooth.
4. In the butter/sugar bowl (point #3) combine the two bowls and add eggs and vanilla essence and mix.
5. Next add in the Coca-Cola
6. Add in the contents of the flour bowl (point #2) and mix slowly until dough is smooth.
7. Add chocolate chips to the mixture and then.. and then it gets screwy (to me)… here's the translation: The addition of chocolate chips and mix to spread evenly on the cloth. What offing cloth?
8. Here it tells you how to place the doughy lumps onto the cookie sheet… I assume because the dough will raise, that you should have around 7cm - 8cm separation between each cookie as you place it onto the cookie sheet via a large spoon. I would assume most bakers would plop it on with their hand… it's what i would do.
Here's what the Translation offered: "Prepare a baking sheet by subtracting the cooking sheet, and drop it scooped the dough in a large spoon on it. (So ​​as not to stick cookies each other open between 7 ~ 8cm)." I think I got that right… You can tell me if it works.
9. Next, place the cookie tray on the top shelf of the oven and bake for 14 to 16 minutes until it turns a light golden brown. This means your oven window should be clean enough for you to pear into so you don't have to open it up to judge while you let the heat out.
10. The translation says "Out of the oven and take the rough heat and remove the cookies from the cookie sheet." I'm pretty sure it means we should let the cookies cool down before removing them from the cookie sheet. At least that's what I do… but I'm really only good at eating cookies, not baking them. 


Coke Float Ice Candy


The translation says: "To eat to become cool!" I'm not sure if my eating of food has made me cool, but I bet this next recipe will help you stay cool, as in temperature and not in popular culture.

Ingredients:
Coca-Cola - one 330 ml can
Milk - 120ml (not specified, but I would be homogenized)
Maple syrup - 1 tablespoon… get the real stuff, not the fake 'topping'.
Vanilla extract - a few drops
Salt - 1 pinch

How to make
1. The translation was hazy, but I believe you are to place about one-third of the Coke in a mold and chill in a freezer until almost firm… you know… ice-like, but not completely frozen…
Aw… apparently you are supposed to have a mold in the shape of the 'popsicle', so you are supposed to create a bottom layer of nearly frozen Coke until almost firm.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the milk, maple syrup, vanilla essence and then salt.
3. Add one other third of the Coke to the mixture (stir) and place the concoction onto the first layer of Coke in the freezer to chill until almost firm. 
3a) Not mentioned here, but you could add a Popsicle stick into the middle mixture. So that you can grab it later, and so it looks like the photo.   
4. Next, add the remaining one-third of Coke onto of the previous mixture and then chill in the freezer until it hardens completely.

I'm unsure how many of you will have a mold in the shape of a popsicle, so could simply create a nice kiddie treat by utilizing an ice cube tray… a big one.

As a youngster, I used to make my own popsicles… I used to pour orange juice or Coca-Cola directly into an empty ice cube tray… place some clear stretch wrap over the top, and then stick toothpicks into the center of each ice cube unit… place it into the freezer until frozen… remove the clear wrap… and using the toothpick as a handle - you have your own popsicle.

If you really wanted to, I suppose you could utilize all of the ingredients suggested in recipe #3 and mix it all together with the Coke and THEN place it into an ice cube tray as I have suggested.

It won't look as pretty, but sometimes the taste is the thing... Either Google Translate or Coca-Cola Japan has messed up, so my way will work the best…. unless you can follow the Japanese-language recipe and tell ME how one should make this recipe.

Coca-Cola desert recipes can be found in its original form: HERE.

If you are daring, and want to try a recipe, please let me know how it worked out. And... if there are ways to make the recipe descriptions better or clearer, I am your sort of humble sous chef and and will listen. 

Kanpai,
Andrew Joseph

2 comments:

  1. I went to a cooking class at the local Japanese-Canada association. One of the recipes was for Coca-Cola Chicken wings. Hardly Nihon Ryori but very popular with the children.

    As a side note: as the only anglo bearded white guy in a room full of Japanese ex-pat housewives, it's one of the few times I have understood, at least a little, what it is to feel like a minority. A worthwhile experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! What you experienced is something most non-white folk experience for the first time ever when they go to Japan. You are now the minority.
      It's why it was easier for me than most. I'm used to being a visible minority and hearing the off catcall... for others, being pointed at and stared at and called a 'gaijin' every day was too much. It wasn't meant to be an insult, but the attention to their differences was off-putting to a lot of people.
      It was one of those things that got me into JET.
      In Toronto I was told in the interview process that the Japanese can be a little funny, pointing out the racial differences between then and others... how would I handle it?
      I said like I do every day here in Toronto. When applicable, explain calmly... blah-blah-blah... I left out all parts of me kicking anyone's butt... but it got me into JET. LOL!

      Delete