Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Art Of Kirigami

Most people have heard of origami—the Japanese art of folding paper.

I've been doing it since I was a kid, making airplanes, boats, hats (it's exactly the same as a boat except you put it on your heard) and even pretty, pretty boulders, rocks and stones.

In truth, aside from folding laundry I'm not that good at folding. And even though I do do the laundry and do fold it, I'm probably not that good at it, but who cares, at least I do it.

Anyhow… origami… someone - probably a girl - once showed you how to make a crane… and in the time it took for you to make a flamingo, she probably made 1,000 cranes along with hundreds of paper chain links.

There's another form of artwork that we kids outside of Japan have done, but probably didn't know it was Japanese in origin.

Called 'kirigami', this art style involves folding paper like origami, but also allows you to cut it.
The girl forms have dresses, but apparently the circumcised boys are naked. Sigh, maybe I should have just not done that joke. It's not that funny. I must be having an off day. I think I'll go make some rocks.
Ever make paper dolls or cut-out hearts for that unfrequented first love who tried to show you how to make paper cranes? Well… that's basically kirigami, except whatever it was that you created, it's not as cool as what is being created by kirigami artists from a single sheet or paper.

Kirigami (切り紙) is derived from the Japanese words 'kiru' - to cut; and 'kami' - paper.

If you are smart, the word 'kami' also means 'spirits' as in ghosts, but there are separate kanji (Chinese alphabet) symbols for both.

How does it work? What the fug are you asking me for? I told you. I make rocks by wadding up paper into a ball shape.

From what I've been told by a six-year-old girl who recently visited the business workplace, besides being told I was 'funny' (D'uh, tell me something I don't know, ya little farting machine), is that you take a flat piece of paper, cut it artfully with slits, the slits are opened and flattened and voila, you have this:
House of Escher by a kirigami expert with a lot of time on their hand. Bloody fantastic, though.
Ever make a snowflake when you were a kid? I did… that's kirigami! So you know you can do it!

Apparently, no two are ever created alike...
Keep in mind that to create kirigami, it all has to be cut and folded from a single piece of paper with no tape or glue used.

Want to know how to do kirigami? Check out this site HERE. There's step-by-step instructions as well as a decent library of books you could check out - real books... with paper...

I am feeling inspired.

I'm going to try and create that House of Escher... and failing that, some rocks.

Somewhere with kid-friendly scissors that don't cut anything,
Andrew "I need a Band-aid" Joseph
PS: Here's what I made at work today. It's not very good, but it's pretty good for me. It's invisible. I would have failed art in grade school if it was possible to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post And Amazing.
    http://www.blogstoc.com

    ReplyDelete