Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sharp's 8K TV Better Than HDTV

Ever since I went HD (high-definition) with my television many years ago, the difference in quality over standard television was phenomenal.

While a crappy reality-based television show was still a crappy reality-based television show, it was exciting to be able to see individual grains of fake grass on a Toronto sports pitch (I live in Toronto).

I did try out—in store—a 3D television, but even I who never had an issue with 3D of any kind, found myself with a headache after 10 minutes of viewing. As well, aside from the few movies on DVD and the odd sporting event, over the past five years there has not been enough programming available to make that headache worthwhile.

So… while I lamented the stall in television technology, I knew that just like landing on the moon, we'd probably get there again.


Hunh… has it really been 43 years since man last walked on the moon?

Fortunately, I didn't have to wait that long for my TV fix.

Revealed at the CES 2015 tech show earlier this year, Sharp says it will have its new 8K TV available for order starting on October 30, for delivery three months after that.

If you are like me, and hear 8K, you'd think it to be quite small - there's that whole computer size thing in my mind… but no… the 8K television will provide a resolution 16x greater than Full HD.

Yeah… I just don't get the whole 8K name thing.



Will it be expensive? You bet your a$$ it will be! New technology always is. When VCRs were coming out, I paid CDN $527 for my top-loader... now... the youth of today doesn't even know what they are. Like records (33-1/3 & 45s), cassette-tapes, 8-Track, Laser Discs, Stereo systems, Dialer telephones... Me? You're talking to a guy who owns a one-sided recording of Happy Birthday that's over 100 years old.

I can already see the pits in people's faces thanks to HD TV, and previously attractive actors and actresses don't look as hot as they used to.

The 8K TV will use an IGZO panel featuring:
  • resolution of 7,680 x 4,320;
  • contrast ratio of 100,000:1, and;
  • 176 degree viewing angles.
The later is very important as it means you don't have to sit a certain way to get the best-focused view.

Do you want the technical? (sigh). the super picture quality comes from it using four HDMI 2.0 inputs. Each of these inputs contributes an Ultra HD picture of 3,840 x 2,160).

So what does that mean for you?

Will you be able to use your TV to peer at the legs of Jennifer Anniston to see if she missed a spot?

No. Jennifer Anniston has awesome legs, and she would never miss a spot.

Regardless, the 8K TV is only as good as the input…

Years ago, not too many telecommunications carriers offered many HD stations. Granted they might all nowadays, but it took some time.

The same is true for 8K TV. The problem is that this technology is light years ahead of the capacity of telecommunications carriers.

Samsung, for example, is on the verge of releasing a 4K Blu-ray player in 2016. 4K. It's still going to need 4K-quality Blu-ray DVDs.  That technology is about to happen. So… who's going to make 8K DVS… or produce expensive programming that will be shot to properly utilize the benefits of 8K television?

Netflix USA offers some 4K programming - but not a lot. Hell, Netflix doesn't offer the same content to Canadian (or other) customers as it does to the U.S. How stupid, as well, is it to offer Part II of a movie, but not provide the first part? Welcome to Netflix.

No… I'm afraid that 8K TV isn't really here yet.

No… don't worry… you'll thank me in a second. If you would like to purchase an 8K TV from  Sharp, you may do so for ¥16-million… which is, as of September 17, US$133,355.97.

I know… that's almost as much as my last month's grocery bill.

So… rather than expecting a plethora of public sales from dumb Japanese with more money than brains, Sharp expects that most of its sales will come from professionals in the telecommunications industry, who may use it to test 8K broadcasts in the future.

2 comments:

  1. What? 8K TV. Now that's just crazy and expensive. I thought 4K Ultra HD TV was amazing. I can't even image what 8K TV is going to look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, David... and I wrote this BEFORE I had even heard of 4K! About a month later, Toronto had a 4K broadcast of a hockey game (for the three people who had purchased 4K TV's at that time). Nowadays, more people have 4k. Not me, yet... too expensive.

      Delete