Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Ukiyo-e Stamps Of Japan

My buddy Vinnie received a package from some friends of his in Japan the other day - ukiyo-e based stamps.

So I decided to see what new stamps Japan had released with ukiyo-e on them. Click on the images to enlarge them.

Japan has used classical ukiyo-e art images on its stamps every year since 1958 to celebrate International Letter Writing Week, but it has not issued a great deal of stamps celebrating ukiyo-e outside of that event.

I mean it has, but it hasn't.

I'll have to do some research and confirm in a later blog.

Right now there are three 2014 series of ukiyo-e images shown above and below.

Obviously these are a less expensive alternative to purchasing the actual ukiyo-e.

I have some 20+ ukiyo-e that I purchased in Japan, all original prints from the 1830s on up.

Anyhow, enjoy these wonderful reproductions here, with a series from 2011 shown below.

As you can see, there appears to be a greater attempt at presentation in the newer 2014 sheets, what with the addition of the kimono clad close-up on them, along with a large banner with the stamp title, done in s similar style to what one might find on the original ukiyo-e of the day (19th century).

Kanpai,
Andrew Joseph
PS: Thanks, as always to Vinnie for the inspiration.
PPS: I apologize for not doing the complete research, but I was away at a trade show today and I'm suffering from a head cold or something. Something my flu shot can not combat. Ugh.

3 comments:

  1. These stamps got my attention. And was wondering if how can i acquire them for my collection.

    Veritable Hardwood Flooring Discount

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone will have it for sale on e-bay.

      Delete