Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Kintsukuroi - Fixing Broken Things


"Kintsugi (金継ぎ - golden joinery)" or "Kintsukuroi" (金継ぎ/金繕い - golden repair) is the art of repairing pottery with a lacquer mixed with gold, silver or platinum joining the pieces and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken. It treats a break and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something that should be disguised with a "clean" repair that you or I might attempt.

Since gold in Japanese is 'kin', I suppose if you were to use silver (gin), the Japanese phrasing would be gintsugi and or gintsukuroi. But maybe there is no other word for the other materials.

Now... if only I could do this with a car or two.

Yes, just before Christmas, my Mazda 6 decided to blow a cylinder in the motor... I've had three replaced earlier this year, but this latest one... well, the mechanics scratched their collective head and said "your car is screwed" meaning it can't be fixed, but that I could try driving it around and see what happens.

So I parked it in my driveway, and used my wife's car for the little odd trips we needed to do over the holiday - like visiting the boy's grandma an hour and a half away. I noticed that the alignment was off in her car - a Ford clone of a Mazda Tribute...

So... yesterday, we decided to take it into the shop to have fixed... but apparently something called a K-frame is rotted out meaning it is either screwed or we can have a new K-frame put in... It can't be driven on the highway, however. Always good news when one just spent three hours on the highway fighting for control.

So we went back to my car, while we figure out when and how much a K-frame costs to have shipped up to Toronto from the U.S.... but my car wouldn't even back-up out of the driveway giving me an expensive piece of art sitting in front of the garage. Zoom-zoom, it ain't.

A 2004 Mazda 6 - you can tell it's not mine, because this one is able to move. Yeah, I like wagons... my favorite car is a 1957 Chevy Nomad... I'd paint mine in Inca Silver.

Now that's a nice rear end. 1957 Chevy Nomad in Inca Silver. I've never seen one in real life, either.
Pity... that car was light and had a lot of V6 horsepower under the hood, but like a horse with a broken leg, you put it out of its misery.

The worst part of my disabled car, is that I just put a full tank of gas in it. At $70 a fill, I'll suck it out if I can stomach it.

So... two cars... screwed... but I bought my first American car, and Oldsmobile, officially making me an old man. On the plus side, this car was only driven by a preacher's wife, and never in the winter. If she was from Pasadena, I would have a nice little rocket of a car...

Still, the Olds needs something fixed - minor and already included in the price, which is actually less expensive than that K-Frame my wife's car needs.

The only problem? The mechanic is out for the next several days - closing for his only vacation of the year, meaning I don't have a car until next week.

And I have to drive a few places to get the necessities... like pills so I can live to write another day, cat food and litter so Freddie doesn't kill one of us in our sleep to feed, and a new modem.

That modem - from Rogers Communication - is the only good news today.

After calling Rogers after learning that my Internet usage went through the roof thanks to my son's new Sony Play Station 4 - all the games MUST be played on-line - plus a new tablet for him, the nice people at Rogers - Dominique - provided me with a nice offer, reducing my over all Telephone, Internet and TV bill by $50 a month, meaning I'll save $600 a year... or, half the cost of my Oldsmobile.

I just need to get a newer, more powerful modem, picking it up for free at a Rogers Plus store... but how to get there?

I guess I could drive my wife's K-Frame plagued car since I don't have to take a highway or any bouncy country roads...

If there is no blog tomorrow, at least you'll know why.

By the way... who the hell fixes a broken bowl with gold, platinum or silver filler they happen to have lying around?

Somewhere with gas,
Andrew 'Carless' Joseph

7 comments:

  1. I'm serious. I've been here for so long and had never once asked. I thought that "Kitsukuroi" was a style of pottery and, since I did pottery in college (really), I had always wondered how in the hell they fired pottery with that gold vein in it? Duh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's amazing is that you went to a college that offered a pottery course. I'm envious!

      Delete
  2. you're having a real "sucks to be you" moment, eh? Here's hoping 2016 is way better!

    - A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but did you like how I melded the cars and the broken pottery thing. That made me feel good considering I wasn't going to mention the cars.
      Hope 2016 is good for you, too.

      Delete
    2. Aside from this blog, I've been having a 'sucks to be me' moment for five+ years now...

      Delete
  3. Wow dude. If there's anything I can do just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come pick me up for work on Monday. LOL!

      Delete