Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's Day At The Ōgiya Brothel


Everyone celebrates New Year's Day differently... for the West, it's usually nursing a hangover.

Not me... I no longer drink - at least not much for the past 15 years, and besides, I never ever have had a hangover - even when drinking far too much. Just lucky, I guess.

Anyhow, in Japan, they do things a little differently.

In the ukiyo-e print above by renowned Japanese artists Hokusai Katsushika (surname first) from around 1804, we see a pentaptych of polychrome woodblock prints (plural - five sheets) featuring ink and color on paper, we see how many folks enjoy bringing in the New Year - with a bang.

At a brothel. With a prostitute or several.

Ahhh, Japan.

And this is the olden days, too.

I'm actually envious.

Anyhow... 2015 can kiss my ass. Dead cat, dead Doug, two dead cars... I know it could be worse for me, and I'm not saying I have a bad life... I'm just saying I've had better years.

Here's hoping this year doesn't suck for you.

Here's to hope.

Happy 2016, everyone.
Andrew Joseph

4 comments:

  1. I saw this quote and thought of you:
    "The act of writing is an act of optimism. You would not take the trouble to do it if you felt it didn’t matter." —Edward Albee
    It certainly explains why I don't like to write! Lol. I see the world in a grain of sand.

    Hoping 2016 is a better year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kiddo! Optimism. Yeah. If I didn't have that, I'd have depression or worse. I'm down right now, but dammit, things can't continue in that fashion. I'd say I have my health, but not really. But I'm optimistic. Thanks for the wonderful quote. I had not heard that one. Always good to learn something new everyday.
      Best advice I can have for anyone.

      Delete
  2. It's the time of year. Which of course is good reason to have a party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never partied like that - despite what went on in Japan.

      Delete