Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

JET Yea Or Nay Notices Being Sent

If you have applied to be a part of the 2016-2017 JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching) Programme, the wait is nearly over.

Notices are in the process of being mailed out to JET applicants noting if you have been shortlisted, rejected, or placed on an alternate list .

The Alternate list isn't as desolate as one might think.

Many who applied and been selected choose not to accept the contract, or once in Japan can't or won't handle the job, panic and opt to head home.

I don't understand why that happens, but I can respect their decision to do so.

So… angst… the wait…

Ya'll should have been like me… not given a crap one way or the other.

I never had any dreams of going to Japan. I only applied because I thought if I applied like a woman I liked was doing, the shared interest would help me get laid.

It didn't.

And even if it had… me getting in and her not, that would have been a deal breaker, too.

I didn't even want to go to Japan.

I know that's no comfort to 99.9 percent of you, to know I didn't want to go, couldn't have cared less if I made it, and then once in turned a one-year contract into a three-year stay (the most we could do at the time - not you could do five years on JET)…

If you have not read any of my trials and tribulations and conquests and friendships and misadventures and adventures in any of the blogs I have written, fret not.

I had a bloody good time in Japan.

If you are able to go - keep an open mind.

If you aren't accepted this time (and you really want to go), you have two options… three really:

  1. Re-apply to the JET Programme next year. You will be better prepared after having gone through the process before;
  2. See about applying with a private teaching school in Japan. It's not the same as the JET Programme, but that's good and bad. You may work harder for less money with odd hours, but it's the experience, right?
  3. Go and visit Japan on your own. Well, maybe it would be better if you could stay at a current JET participant's place… maybe see if you could do a class visit with that person… I have no idea if such things are possible… but the idea is to go to Japan, scratch that itch, and see if you want to continue scratching later.
Anyhow - the notices are en route. Just in case you needed to know.

Kanpai (Cheers)!
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment