Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Friday, May 20, 2016

Pink Lady - Beloved Japanese Pop Duo

I guess my friends “get me”.

Matthew recently sent along a video of the Japanese music duo Pink Lady performing their song UFO… which I would pronounce as You-Eff-Oh, but is said, instead as You-Foe.

While I can admire the quaintness of this disco-light song, and the sexy costuming of these two very beautiful Japanese singers, and even get behind their Commodores-like choreography… but I simply can not abide with their blatant mispronunciation of UFO.

Look… even if little periods aren’t being utilized to separate the letters to indicate that each letter should be pronounced separately (and I get it, this English word is as alien to Pink Lady, as it gets)… but this word is NOT an acronym…  it is a group of initials.

You can’t turn initials into an acronym.

You can’t turn the F.B.I (Federal Bureau of Investigation) in Fee-bee (phoebe?)…

For evidence of this crime against English, enjoy the sexy, video below. (Yes, Matthew, I found a much less blurry version!):



Man… I must really like boots, because that’s what I have running through my mind right now.

Lastly… Japanese music group… Pink Lady… which is pronounced in Japanese as Pin-ku Ray-dee.

However, like most things in life, all is forgiven if you are sexy.

Pink Lady ( ピンク・レディー Pinku Redī) is a a pretty famous Japanese pop duo of the late 1970s and early 80s, featuring the very sexy Nemoto Mitsuyo aka Mie (born March 9, 1958), and Masuda Keiko aka Kei (born September 2, 1957).

While Japan might know them best for their hit songs, over in Canada and the U.S., they are perhaps better known for having their own TV show on NBC called Pink Lady.

The program itself is said to be #35 in the 50 worst shows ever, with the variety show alternating between musical breaks and skit comedy... mostly revolving around Mei and Kei just not getting 'western' culture.

Strangely enough, Mei and Kei did NOT speak any English on the TV show, leaving the funny Jeff Altman to 'translate' for them.

Six episodes in total were made - five of which actually made it onto TV between March 1 through April 4, 1980... and I can only assume that the show failed because they did not appear in those sexy silver knee high boots.

The only way it could have been better, is if they had sexy silver thigh high boots.

Back in the mid-1990s, I once bought a dancer a pair of red leather thigh high boots, but it's probably best if we don't recall that I did that.

Anyhow, if you must, you can purchase a DVD of all six episodes of the show... only look for it under the title of Pink Lady and Jeff.

As for Pink Lady the music duo... these chicks were electric! They had nine No.1 hits in a row, five of which were million-selling records: Nagisa no Sinbad, UFO (best selling single at 1.95 million sold), Wanted, Southpaw, and Monster.

Their 1978 single, Chameleon Army was on the Japanese music charts for 63 weeks, a record that still stands, I believe.

Scandal followed Pink Lady, however.

Despite 1978 being their biggest since they began performing in 1976, it all went downhill on December 31 of 1978 when Pink Lady decided to host their own TV special rather than accept an invitation to appear on the long-running annual New Year's Eve television music program Kōhaku Uta Gassen (Red-and-White Song Contest).

It's like snubbing Dick Clark back when Dick Clark was the music maker.

To make matters worse, the Kōhaku Uta Gassen show had nine times the ratings of their own.

But worst yet, was some absurd notion that the Pink Lady managers had, that a school for the blind had been invited to the Pink Lady New Year's Eve show.

They had not been invited, and soon the media was accusing our lovely booted duo of using blind children to promote their own TV special.

After a few reunions and disbandings, Pink Lady has been performing together again since 2010.

They would be in their mid to late 50s, and even if they choose not to wear such sexy clothing again, those boots have to still fit.

By the way, I did indeed see their television show back in 1980, which helped get me through puberty a few times. So... Matthew... thanks for providing me with an opportunity to remember.


Kanpai,
JAMS Joseph
PS: Having said that one can’t turn initials into an acronym, I have done that with my name. JAMS Joseph… John Andrew Matthew Stephen Joseph. LOL. That’s not pronounced Loll, by the way. Initials. Inexperienced Japanese should not try to say LOL as an acronym.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, eh? It was fascinating and yet... ugh. And, if they weren't hot, I wouldn't have paid them any nevermind. Then again... I've never been a fan of pop or disco.

      Delete