Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Teen Titans Go


When I'm not angry with pent-up teen angst (I said it was pent up - for like 4+ decades), I like to laugh.

One of the funniest television shows I have seen, is the animated show Teen Titans Go which has run since 2013.

It's a very comedic take on the Teen Titans - the teenaged sidekicks of major DC superheroes... at least that was the original concept back in the 1960s when DC Comics first paired Robin, Wondergirl and Aqualad in 1964's Brave And The Bold #54.

After another appearance in that comic book in #60 - this time actually named the Teen Ttans, they got their own book that lasted through the mid 1970s.

In the mid-1980s, it was revamped by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, introducing characters that were less sidekick and more hero.

It still featured Robin, but now it had the new characters of Raven, Cyborg, Starfire, and Beastboy - though he did appear before in Doom Patrol #99... which I am sure I have but don't recall.

The book was gritty, supernatural, heroic and full of angst. It was the best series of the 1980s. 


In the early 2000s, there was a serious Teen Titans cartoon with a Japanimation look to it featuring the same characters - and to be honest, it was okay, but I always hated that animation style and never watched more than a couple of the serious episodes.

Then came the Teen Titans Go series of cartoons - and right from the get go I bust a gut. I recognized the voice actors reprising their role from the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon, which made the comedy even more impressive, as these Teen Titans acted nothing like their predecessors.

Robin, the would-be leader is neurotic and in love with the alien Starfire. Cyborg and Beast Boy like to eat and play video games, while Raven, the daughter of an inter-dimensional demon king likes to scare her teammates with her darkness while secretly playing with her Pretty Ponies doll collection.

Now in its third season, I continue to watch and laugh - my son too - at their innane adventures like when Robin has to take driving lessons after wrecking the Batmobile - everyone is still afraid of Batman. Robin unwittingly takes lessons from a guy who uses Robin's skillful driving to commit bank robberies.

That's an oldie, but I love it. I love'em all... like when Robin takes on Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy for the affections of Starfire who is oblivious of the fact that the boys are fighting for her affections.

You have to watch the show. 

The Japanese content is the theme song, which is performed by the Japanese group: Ami Onuki and Yumi Yoshimura (also known under the alias Puffy AmiYumi).

But really, I am writing this because I found some cool art by Maki Hosaku who created the Japanese Lesson artwork above.

Kanpai,
Andrew JOseph

No comments:

Post a Comment