Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Photobombing 1990-style

Above is me (the idiot on the right) photobombing someone’s photograph back in 1990.

The action took place at an AET (assistant English teacher) get-together of those of us on the JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching) Programme. I have no idea where bombing of photos took place, but since I see Muneo, my hairdresser directly at the top (right) of Ashley’s head, I can pretty much surmise that this is an Ohtawara International Friendship Association get-together.

The fact that Ashley is smiling at my actions can only mean that we are still a couple. Plus her haircut… it must be around early December… I’m wearing a sweater (and tie)… and I both Ash and I are sporting new haircuts.

I’m not sure what was going on with the Superman… er, Clark Kent forehead curl… it must have plopped out during my perfectly timed lunge into the picture frame.

Always the funny guy… I wasted the photographers film… this was when we used film…

Needless to say, I didn’t make it into any other photos from this event.

Oh well…         

As for photo bombing itself… the concept may not be a new thing - obviously I did this back in 1990… but the term is.

Back in 2014, “Photobomb” was named word of the year by Collins English Dictionary, even though the global conspiracy of photobombing had taken the world by storm about one year earlier.   

Back when I did, it wasn’t called photo bombing… it was called screwing up someone’s photograph.

Photo by Suzuki-san the farmer, of friend Naoko… I can call her a friend because I know her first name! Same with Muneo. 

Kanpai,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment