Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Monday, December 26, 2016

We All Live In A Yellow Submarine

So... Christmas is over... everyone survive?

I spent the afternoon at the wife's mother's place eating my first turkey dinner in maybe five years. Nice!

Earlier on December 25, we did the typical gift exchange.

I did NOT get anything Japan-related nor anything Aviation-related, which is fine... I did get lots of crappy joke-related stuff an underwear, which is always appreciated... I have never bought my own underwear. After my mom, Noboko nested and bought me underwear, and now my wife, Colette, does.

I needed dress socks, but what the heck, eh. She did buy me a very expensive watch... something she bought two days before I fixed my old Seiko watch that I took along with me to Japan.... ahhh conundrum... I guess I can switch from day to day?

I still recall that before Ashley left to go on her Thailand vacation without me back in 1990, I gave her my Donald Duck wristwatch to borrow so that it would be like I was with her.

To my chagrin, she apparently lost it in a river in Thailand while riding on an elephant.

Uh-huh. I loved that Donald Duck wristwatch. In Japan, I used to wear two watches... keeping one on Toronto time (DD), and my Seiko on Japan time. One watch per wrist, of course. I was a hipster doofus before it became a thing. I even had a fedora. Though I never actually wore it in Japan.

I did also get a LEGO building toy - the Beatles Yellow Submarine. While it's not Japanese, it does have a Japanese connection.

Japanese LEGO fans began petitioning LEGO to create various models for them about five or six years ago... and LEGO said if you can get 10,000 likes on a particular model, we will consider building it.

One of those was a Hayabusa - Japan's satellite asteroid mission - that was one their now-defunct LEGO CUUSO website back in 2012. I have that one.The first, the Shinkai 6500 submersible, went on sale in Japan in February 2011.

Fans used to create stuff with their own LEGO and try and entice LEGO to build it as a mainstream  - but still limited-edition - set.

That's why you see Minecraft sets, a Back to the Future DeLorean DMC-12 car set (got it), and a Ghostbusters original ECTO-1 ambulance/car set (got it). I think a Big Bang Theory set was also part of the deal.

And now... a Yellow Submarine set from LEGO... which, I can only conclude was because of that original Japanese fan website from five years ago.

Back in London, England when I was two or three years-old, my parents had decided to take me to church... this was in the 1960s... anyhow, the Beatles' Yellow Submarine song had been released and I seemed to have taken a shine to it.

In church I began to belt out the tune: "We all live in a yellow submarine!" at the top of my kiddie lungs causing my embarrassed father to pick me up and carry me out of the church as I continued to repeat that one line over and over again.

Even after the church doors slammed shut behind my dad and I, my mother who remained says she could still hear me crooning.

Yes... my first name is John... like the Beatles... while the name I go by - Andrew - my second name - was after Prince Andrew, who had been born some years earlier.

Ah me... and so, the true meaning of Christmas is not having any idea what one is going to write for a blog, except to explain how his day went, and then to somehow make it relate to Japan.

Banzai,
Andrew Joseph
PS: Today is my parent's wedding anniversary. Does it still count if one is dead?
>

2 comments:

  1. "Hallelujah, Noel, be it Heaven or Hell
    The Christmas we get, we deserve."
    Late Merry Christmas to you. Anniversaries count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated Merry Christmas to you. But you don't call up and wish the one left a happy anniversary, right?

      Delete