Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

1930s Japanese Aviation Postcard Art

I don’t pretend to know a whole lot about aviation, but I certainly like to try and figure things out.

As such, I have a website I created called Pioneers of Aviation (https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/), whereby I look at aviation from around the world - but keeping it era-specific, for the most part, to 1919 and earlier.

To me, that era evokes the romance of those daring young men and women in their flying machines… oft-times for the earlier pioneers in hand-made aircraft designed by people with little understanding of aerodynamics or even engineering, creating monstrous designs with under-powered motors that would have less horsepower than most of today’s lawnmowers…

I have crossed this Japanese blog with my aviation one from time to time—killing two birds with one stone (what a horrible adage, if you think about it).

But what I have here are some old Japanese postcards I found on a defunct E-Bay sales site… with little information currently available as to just what it is we are looking at.

Because there biplanes mixed in with monoplanes, I can only assume we are looking at 1930s era aircraft. Anything later and biplanes were used in WWII mostly as trainers or more mundane chores.

From what I can piece together from some on-line posts of the image above, the top left image is an envelope that held eight colorful drawings of The Ferocious Sea Eagles of Japan’s Navy Air Corps.

The image of the airplane on the envelope looks to be the same as the bottom left corner image depicting a seaplane with a central pontoon.

If I had to guess, I would say it’s a Yokosuka K4Y (also known as a Navy Type 90 seaplane trainer).

The rest of the aircraft do not appear to have water-landing capabilities, so I could assume they were either used on Japan’s new aircraft carriers or standard on-land airfields.

The bottom right (and middle) looks to depict a Type 94 aircraft carrier bomber.

The middle aircraft - a Mitsubishi A5M, also known as a Type 96 aircraft carrier fighter.

These are the type of aircraft it might have used in its pre-WWII war with China during the 1930s.

As for the rest? Just enjoy the art… unless you have the wherewithal to teach me.

Banzai,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment