Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Aladdin Makes Me Sad

This past weekend, the 1992 animated Disney flick Aladdin was on television.

I recall it was pretty funny, what with Robin Williams as the frenetic genie, and Gilbert Gottfried as Iago the parrot… but I couldn’t recall a whole lot else about it.

I had always thought that Aladdin was too similar to sound like el a-din… which sounds more Arabic.

The original folk story of Aladdin was part of the classic The Book of One Thousand and One Nights which you know better as The Arabian Nights.

Although not part of the original English-language edition from 1706, the story of Aladdin was added to this  collected works at some point before 1788 (the story was performed as a play in 1788 in England)…. so it would have had to have been added earlier.

The Arabian Nights collection includes such wonderful tales as: Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor… but guess, what… these are ALSO later additions to the collected works.

Anyhow… Aladdin the 1992 animated flick.

How could I have forgotten. It was the very first movie Noboko and I went to see it in the theaters of Utsunomiya (capital city of Tochigi-ken) in 1993… it takes almost a year for western movies to appear in Japan owing to the translation of subtitles that need to be done, or conversely, the voice translations that need to be redone into Japanese, and the addition of English subtitles.

In this case, the Aladdin Noboko and I saw was one with Japanese subtitles.

We enjoyed the movie immensely… Noboko fancied herself the beautiful princess, and me the roguish diamond in the rough Aladdin.

She actually called me a diamond in the rough in this example.

Does that mean she though I was somewhat rough around the edges, but had enough fine qualities to be a diamond. 

Rough around the edges?  Me?

Was that an insult or a compliment?

Was it a mistranslated thought from within her pretty little Japanese head into ugly harsh English?

I’m a diamond in the rough.

That means someone who is full of potential but has a coarse exterior.

What the fug does that mean?

Was she calling me unpolished?

I think she was?

Did she want someone who was more polished… less rough… I thought she liked it rough. Sometimes.

Or, did she merely mean that amongst all of the roughness in this harsh world, I am a diamond?

Cold, emotionless…

Or smooth and full of facets?

Hmmm… as I write all of this… it just hit me… I did ask Noboko what the heck she meant…

She really did say I was a bit rough around the edges…

I thought about it for a minute and stopped choking her… she was correct.

But was that because she was comparing me to other men, or to Japanese men?

It wasn’t because of my style of dress… I dressed like a successful Colombian drug lord… diamond earring, long hair, deadly wicked beard… a knowledge of many things in the bedroom that she never had complaints about.

I showered often, cooked her food, took her out, paid her way, treated her like a princess, probably jumped her a little too much as I really enjoyed having sex with her… maybe that’s what she meant… but I never hear any complaints…

The Aladdin movie brings back conflicting emotions for me.

Diamond in the rough being one… but just knowing I was holding her hand or stroking her leg or smelling the apple blossom scent in her hair… we now stand for our national anthem…

And it also reminds me about everything wrong with Japan… and everything wrong with me… and everything wrong with me and Japan.

And I know I don’t want to watch this movie ever again.

You can see what I mean about things below:



Cheers,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment