Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Stairway To Heaven - Japanese Style

I don't know what I was expecting, but damn this is one fine cover by Nijugen-Koto, who cover the rock and or roll classic song Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. And I love me some Zep! Strangely, this isn't one of my favorites, but the part where it kicks in and gets faster and more frenetic... well... that's kick-a$$...

... and Nijugen-Koto do a good job of presenting their version of it.

The group consists two koto players: Hisamoto Keiko (nijugen-koto) and Watanabe Masako (jushichigen-koto); and two shakuhachi players: Motonaga Hiromu and Kawamura Kizan - all surname first

The koto is the harp-sounding string instrument, while the shakuhachi is a wood flute played like a clarinet or recorder, as opposed to the standard flute manner.

I had the chance to play the shakuhachi while I was in Japan... surprisingly easy to play, surprisingly difficult to play well.

I'm one of those weird people who can pick up most instruments and play them almost from the get-go.

I did teach clarinet and piano before going to Japan and can play all brass, woodwind and keyboards instruments... but percussion and strings... nada. I might have got the talent gene, but not the passion gene from my uncle Harold Joseph who was the conductor of India's Army and conductor of the New Delhi Symphony Orchestra back in the 1970s and 1980s.

I never worked at music... as I said, I never felt it... but I get my arts out in other ways, I guess.

As for what this particular blog is all about... haunting... have a listen to Nijugen-Koto playing a cover of the Led Zeppelin classic Stairway to Heaven:
Kanpai,
Andrew Joseph

3 comments:

  1. This was lovely. It was my HS prom theme from waaaay back (I could barely stand to hear it played again and again back then).

    But -- nostalgia ... kinda like the old B/W movies and TV shows you posted earlier this month. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more nostalgia coming up on Tuesday's blog...

      Delete
    2. I look forward to reading your blog (as I do every day, my friend). Also, I was very sad to hear about your mother-in-law. {{Hugs}} to you and your family.

      Delete