Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, June 22, 2017

WWII Japanese Insult

Because my baseball team won its first game of the season, here's a little something my buddy Vinnie sent me...

It's a baseball card of Babe Ruth that I had never seen before. It's an early one, depicting him as a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox... back before one of the greatest home run swatters was still only one of the best left-handed pitchers in the game.

Rather than me blather on too much about it, if you have US$60,000, this rare card - perhaps only 10 known to exist, can be yours.

Did you know that during WWII, the Japanese in an effort to demoralize Americans would shout out the taunt: "To hell with Babe Ruth!"... considered by them to be the greatest insult possible to the American soldiers...

... perhaps another reason why Japan lost WWII.

Should you wish to purchase this card, click HERE to visit the auction site. 

And... just because... below is a photo of myself and my son Hudson taken a couple of weeks ago by my younger brother Ben.
Yes... they make middle-age men dress up in the same uniforms as the 11-13-year-old players. I am, in this photo, wearing uniform No. 47.... a jersey I have since relinquished after signing up a kid who is actually taller and as wide as me.

Banzai,
Andrew Joseph



2 comments:

  1. Cultural confusion at it best.

    Couple of good looking dudes there - you'll be in trouble when he hits high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks! Personally, I hope he has fun. I sure as heck didn't have any fun in high school being nearly two-years younger than everyone else in my grade (except my buddy Rob who was also more than a year younger than everyone else, too!)

      Delete