Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Sunday, February 12, 2012

LEGO: Kill Bill

Hi. Here's a small LEGO diorama I built last week.

Despite never having played with LEGO as a child, I know find that as a child-like adult, I enjoy it a lot.

For slightly less than a year now, I have begun building LEGO dioramas inspired by feudal Japan. You can click on the links immediately below to see some of my Ozymandias-like work:

LEGO DIORAMA 1
LEGO DIORAMA 2
LEGO DIORAMA 3
LEGO DIORAMA 4

This diorama is obviously a departure from that.

Originally, it was just going to be a quiet Japanese style room with a bed, chair, bookcase and shoji doors (rice paper screen doors). The bed was tricky, in that I wanted to make it look like it had a bit of a ruffled quilt from use, but it was just supposed to be an empty bedroom. Quiet, serene and as Japanese as I could muster. I started it and completed it in 20 minutes last Thursday.

But late this past Friday night, I thought it might be fun to add a Japanese high school girl with a backpack I made using a Japanese sailor upper body and a cheerleader skirted lower body... and then I said, what the heck... let's mess it up.

I gave my high school LEGO minifig (mini-figure) a pair of sai blades and a geisha-faced female combatant in a judo gi (suit) using a kusarigama (chain-sickle).

If they were fighting in a bedroom, I had to have a shoji door blown off its hinges, right?

I know, I know... I'm sick. Anyhow, the scene reminded me of a cross between the fight scene between Go-Go Yubari, the Japanese schoolgirl killer (read HERE for a nice story on the cutey-pie actress who played Go-Go) in Kill Bill Volume II, and the battle in Kill Bill Volume I between Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman) and Vernita Green (Vivica A. Fox) at Vernita's home.

It's not either of those scenes, but the diorama is certainly inspired by Kill Bill.

Enjoy:




by Andrew Joseph
PS: I'm now thinking of a nice Feudal Japan diorama featuring seven samurai riding horses down a tree-lined path, past an ox-cart laden with rice barrels, in front of a temple.
Idle hands are the devil's workshop.
Along with learning how to better focus a digital camera with my astigmatism, I also think I need to get laid.

2 comments:

  1. Before my son ever started doing Lego, I thought it was a waste of time. Then I started playing with Lego with him and realized what a great and educational toy this is for kids... For adults? Only a simpleton couldn't recognize the relaxation and therapeutic value of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Mike! The LEGO builds have been helping with all of the stress going on in my life this past year. I've been building a lot more lately as my stress levels continue to rise and rise.
    I've already begun that temple diorama I hinted at above - this time I actually drew out a blueprint of how it should look, and I've already got a temple and torii down! This will take a few more weeks to complete as I need to purchase a few pieces and I need to save a few bucks.
    Cheers, buddy!

    ReplyDelete