Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Famous Monsters Of Filmland #262

I'm actually on vacation - of a sorts. The wife and kid are away at a cottage. I'm at work and home alone with the dog, the cat, a fish, frozen pizzas, Chef Boyardee, a Charlie Chan omnibus and a whole lot of free time to watch baseball and movies I want to watch without wondering if it's boring for anyone else.

Even though the family was around two weeks ago, I watched the original Godzilla and Gamera movies and rediscovered my youth. That and a bottle of Just For Men hair color.

This past weekend, I hung out with a good friend for the first time in months and went comic book shopping. While I no longer purchase the 80 comic books a month - because that would cost around $350 nowadays, I did pick up a magazine called Famous Monsters Of Filmland #262 - the cover of which is above.

How friggin' awesome is that?!

I hadn't seen this quarterly magazine since the early 1970s - during it's Volume 1 run between 1958-1983. I didn't buy it then, because I didn't buy magazines as an eight-year-old. Just hockey and baseball cards and comic books.

But, seeing this issue - really, the first such magazine since like 1974 or 1975 - it was perfect. Nearly the whole magazine is devoted to Japanese kaiju (monsters), with stories on Godzilla, Gamera, Spectreman, Varan The Unbelievable, Inazuman, Matango and more... in fact, there was a two page memorial devoted to the proud people who contributed to Japanese fantasy films and television. People I'd never heard of on projects I'd never heard of - and all of who I looked up to find out more.

I'm lucky like that - I must also be a great card player - as the first ever LEGO Brick Journal magazine I saw was devoted to Japan. Maybe I'll go shopping for a book on woman and find one on Japanese women.

If you are a fan of Japanese monster movies, I would recommend you pick up Issue #262 - which was $12.99 Canadian. Holy crap?! Is that what I paid for it? No wonder I never picked up this magazine as a squirt! 

Whatever, the price, however, it has been an enjoyable read, and I think you'll like it too.

Cheers
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment