Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Dinosaur Origami

I really like origami - the Japanese art of paper folding.

I totally suck at it, and can pretty much only make the standard jet plane and an asteroid that coincidentally looks like a crumpled ball of paper.

I lack finesse, and in fact took four shots at spelling the word because my brain was surprised the word was in my vocabulary. 

Yes, I can spend weeks putting together a LEGO diorama, and days painting a 25mm high lead figure for Dungeons and Dragons (no, I no longer play)... but origami... no... that takes a skill I have not mastered.

I'm a strange kind of learner. I can not learn from merely reading a book or having someone tell me. I have to see it to believe it. Only then does the light come on inside my refrigerator of a brain and then I get it. The fact that I can not 'get it' except this way is strange for a guy who imparts information as a writer.

That reminds me... Caro... if you are reading this, please drop me a line to let me what it is you will be taking in school and where and, of course, how you are doing.

Anyhow... at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto (where I live) that I visited with my 6-year-old son this past Tuesday, in the gift shop I spied an all-Japanese package... not a speck of English on it anywhere, except for the price tag, which I only spied after I snagged a couple of photos...    

There, for a scant $14.99 Cdn (¥1,200) was a package of five origami that could be folded to make up dinosaurs! If you have the money, time and skill set, you could make a Ankylosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Carnotaurus, Styracosaurus and a sauropod (Brontosaurus-family of critters) of some sort - I can't frigging translate the katakana into a recognizable Latin word.

If any one can help, that would be cool.

I did not buy it because I know it would only come out looking like a set of $14.99 asteroids - and while I like space exploration and astronomy, I have enough asteroids. 

Cheers
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment