Search This Blog & Get A Rife

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Noboko And Andrew: The Monday After Noboko's Dad Found Out

When last we saw Noboko and Andrew, their relationship had just been discovered by her very Japanese father, who, while Andrew (myself) was visiting for dinner, proceeded to get stinking drunk and then stumble off to bed, only to get up on Sunday morning to have a 'discussion' with my Noboko.

She was a Japanese teacher of English at one of the junior high schools I taught at in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, speaking near-perfect English. She was gorgeous, sexy, smart, funny, intelligent… and very much a daddy's girl.

Her father was the boss of all the junior high school teachers in the northern part of Tochigi-ken, and there was a huge concern that my presence in his life would cause him great embarrassment.

The embarrassment was several fold:
  1. She and I must have been having premarital sex (we were), and that's perceived as a no-no, even though most Japanese people do engage in such activities utilizing the no-tell aspects of the multitude of love hotels in its concrete jungle;
  2. Just having a gaijin (foreigner) for a son-in-law;
  3. Just having a loud-mouth, funny (and thus foolish) gaijin as a son-in-law.
It would have meant a loss of face for him, possibly never being promoted again… having a man's work affected in Japan - that's about as deep a slap in the face it can get for most Japanese men.

Noboko's mom… she had learned of it a couple of weeks earlier, having guessed at the body language Noboko and I possessed around each other during my first dinner at their place. She was good with it, wanting her daughter to be happy.

And Noboko was. besides… she was already past the acceptable Japanese woman's marrying age.

Embarrassment was never spoken of around me, but being 27 or so years old and not married… it was supposedly an embarrassment for all involved: the single woman, her mother, and of course, her father.

You'd think they would all be happy I was willing to get her all married and knocked up and such, considering she had previously kiboshed an engagement to a Japanese guy that Noboko only spoke to me of once and once only.

Besides… Noboko and I treated each other very well. Respectfully and stuff.

Now… Noboko called me at Sunday/Monday night after that whole debacle, saying she would see me after work on Monday.

It's now 6PM on that Monday.

A frightened knock and then a doorbell ring had me run over, peer through the door's fisheyed glass and spy my dream.

She looked sexy, despite having a face that looked like she was tired of all the crap.

We didn't kiss, but we did hug… and then we kissed and then hugged some more.

It was unusual… usually she would arrive at my place and literally jump up on to my body wrapping her legs and arms around me before we tore each other's clothes off. Yup… I sure as hell looked forward to getting home after work.

As we walked to my living room, I asked her if she wanted a Coke (yes), and then sat down beside her as she stretched her shapely, slim legs atop my lap, purposely (?) moving around a bit before finding that comfortable spot

There was movement.

"How are you?" I asked.

She sighed. "Tired."

"Are you breaking up with me?" I blurted out.

Who the hell okayed that question??!!

"Do you want us to be?" she shot back moving her legs quickly off my lap, her dark brown eyes flashing little lightning bolts.

"Fug no," I said in shock. "I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with you."

Okay, I don't know what part of my brain said that, but (add clapping sound effect) "bravo".

Noboko sighed again.

The Andrew of 2015 knows what that sigh means, or at least has a pretty good idea of what it means, but the relationship-challenged Andrew of 1993 wasn't sure at all, and it made him nervous (turns out 1993 me wasn't so stupid, after all).

I smiled.

I don't know what it is about my smile (I haven't done one in a while), but that smile can diffuse a relationship situation with ease. It's a goofy, wry smile. A helpless smile that shares your confusion. And wants to be part of your solution rather than your problem.

"C'mere," I said lasciviously as I leaned back against the far side of the couch.

She leaned back from my left, onto my front as my left arm snaked around her waist.

It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, her hair always smelled of fresh apple blossoms. It's strange, because my nose don't usually work well with scents.

I wanted to ask her if she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me, but her reaction to my 'breaking up' question made me wary.

After about three hours, but it might have been a minute, my apartment shrouded in darkness, we haven't had dinner or spoken a single word more, I could stand the silence no longer, and I gently kissed the top of her head.

"I love you, Noboko-chan."

She pushed farther onto my lap, looked up at me as she tried to throw her left arm around my neck and instead punched me in the face.

"Oww! " I said, but really, a small woman like that isn't going to hurt me physically. Just words or inactions.

She started laughing as she asked me if she could kiss my pain away.

And she did.

At 10PM, when I advised her of the time - we had spent a long time playing head nurse/patient - she told me to shut up and kept kissing me.

She spent the night.

She didn't call her parents to tell her where she was, though I suspect that when she didn't show up for dinner, they had a pretty good idea where she was.

My phone rang at exactly 11:01PM. A local call. I moved to answer it, but Noboko looked at me, shook her head and became more physically active with me.

If that wasn't a fug you, then I don't known fug.

Somewhere happy,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment